Milestone for the Wife! (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My wife drove the 40 to work today!! :bounce: :bounce2: :bounce:

The reason this is a big deal is that in the 2 years we've had it, today was the third time she's ever driven it. First was 2 summers ago when I made her drive it for 10-20 minutes on back country roads. Second time was last night after she came hom from school (she teaches) and said, "I think I want to drive the truck to school tomorrow, so can we practice tonight?" So, she drove me around Alexandria and Arlington.

My excitement is that we originally got the truck thinking it could be something we both enjoy, but until now, that's not been the case. Usually it's been a point of contention: Felix needs to spend time and money on HIS truck. Finally she seems to be taking more of an interest! Which means maybe I'll have support for stuff like power steering and suspension upgrades.

Whoo hooo!!! :bounce2: :bounce2: :bounce2:

That is all.

Ah yes, Felix, there is a price to be paid for easier permission - having to share! ;)

My wife is slightly embarassed when I make her ride in my 40. She just doesn't appreciate antiques. :D

My wife is slightly embarassed when I make her ride in my 40. She just doesn't appreciate antiques. :D

Oh, no, Aubrey likes riding in it, and not only in the summer with the top off. She likes the image of the old, unique truck. Which is cool. But she has never wanted to drive it.

Once she's gotten comfortable driving it around town, my ultimate goal is to convince her to drive it offroad. I'll probably need at least ps before that, though. She doesn't like wheeling because she gets motion sick really easily, but I think that if she were driving it wouldn't be as bad. And she might learn to like it.

And then maybe we could get her her own cruiser! And then another one! And then...

Okay. baby steps. For now I'm just happy she could get it started in the cold and drive it down the gw parkway without letting it run off the road.

I'll probably need at least ps before that, though.

Oh, and she'll probably want an OME suspension lift to help with the motion sickness. She'll need bigger tires because they're safer. Oh yes, and disc brakes all around because it'll feel like a more modern vehicle. Don't forget about the body work and new paint job - she'll definitely want to look her best at work. :grinpimp:

My wife wants an FJ60....she loves them. I actually advised against it because I don't want to pay the fuel cost for her to drive all over the place. I know...pretty bad of me.

I remember when my wife drove a 40 for the first time....she was freaking out....circling the wheel back and forth trying to keep it going straight. It took her a few times to get the hang of driving a loosy goosy steering system without power.

I remember when my wife drove a 40 for the first time....she was freaking out....circling the wheel back and forth trying to keep it going straight. It took her a few times to get the hang of driving a loosy goosy steering system without power.

That was her biggest complaint, the play in the steering wheel. That and the stopping a couple thousand more pounds than she's used to.

My wife wants an FJ60....she loves them. I actually advised against it because I don't want to pay the fuel cost for her to drive all over the place. I know...pretty bad of me.

My wife spent many years selling new cars, so the pinnacle for her is a new car. She is spoiled. That said, she knows how to drive my 40. She grew up driving her father's pickup that had three-on-the-tree.

That was her biggest complaint, the play in the steering wheel. That and the stopping a couple thousand more pounds than she's used to.

That's easy to fix. Have you tried to adjust the play in the steering box and center arm? Both are pretty straightforward.

Replacing the ball joints is fairly easy too.

Another source of play that is often overlooked is the joint at the pitman arm and drag link. More caster will make it track better as well but a little harder to turn.

Yep, that too. My point about the box and arm is that there is no cost to adjust and very quickly done at that...seems like many folks are not keen to spending a ton of money on maintenance.

Park the truck and have someone wiggle the wheel back and forth, from resistance to resistance - just feeling the slack and then some.

While they do that, inspect the links- you'll be amazed at how much stuff moves...nothing should move.

Anyone watch Death Road on the History Channel? They showed how people took inner tubes and wrapped worn out ball joints with them to get a few more days driving out of them before they failed...on the most deadly road in the world:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: something like 20 deaths per mile of road:eek:

-Stumbaugh

I've tried turning that nut on the side of my steering box...but it would not budge. Put some pretty heavy grunts on it too.

I've tried turning that nut on the side of my steering box...but it would not budge. Put some pretty heavy grunts on it too.

Put a wrench on there and smack it with a dead blow hammer or even a small regular hammer.

That's nice to hear Felix. My wife wants to bypass the 40 and the 70 and go right to an 80 or 100 series :eek:

...and what does your wife think of the 62 Felix...?

I can do that:D

Or, take an old seatpost (steel BMX seatpost fit's perfectly) and it slides right over the end of a 3/8's wratchet on the seat side and a 1/2 wratchet on the other.

Slide over the end of your wrachet/breaker bar and double your leverage (and smack with a hammer too).

I have one of these with an old BMX grip on the end and it's seen a lot of use...

I've got my homemade headset bearing race installer made of heavy pvc....I'll try that.

BTW - wouldn't it be sweet to have a bmx bike again for goofing around on....just running to the store....wheelies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom