Mileage from rear brake pads (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wondering on the FZJ80's what are you guys averaging mileage wise between pad changes?

..about 22k for me...

I just did the rears for the second time, and I have approximately 37k miles since I purchased it.
But then again I do a lot of stop and go in my comute :doh:

Well...I got about 90K on my rears before I found them carving up my rear rotors :-[ Then it was Danny to the rescue with new rotors and pads. Now I check them (and may replace the pads) as frequently as my fronts.

Tom

This is a sore spot for me. I have done the fronts once, and the rears twice, and my fronts are still good. Both times, the inner pad ate into the rotor (my wife drives it during the week). I have also replaced the calipers since I wasn't sure if they were sticking - nope had to buy rotor set #2.

I don't know if it is possible that I over-compensated with the LSP valve... I can't imagine that the rear would actually overbrake given the physical differences.

Just ticks me off that I have bought 4 rear rotors- and I have never bought a front.

Do yourselves a favor - pull the rear tires & caliper and check the inner pad.

Jim

Man these results are all over the place. I changed my rear pads the first time at 95K miles and I have to change my fronts about every 15K miles. I now have 135K on the LC. My rear rotors look great and I changed my front rotors at 60K miles, not because they were bad but because the dealer screwed up and changed them by mistake :). I will be changing the front rotor again at 160K miles so that means I am getting 100K miles of use from the front rotors and I'm at 135K with the rears still looking good.

On the original OEM '94 front pads 28K and they were done to the metal 25K next time around. Third replacement was TRD pads only lasting 6K and damaged the rotors. They always sounded like they were grinding from day one. Had to check them fequently. Replaced rotors at 78K and ~half worn pads(25k) with 100 series pads. Last I checked they still have plently left with 40K on them. The original rears lasted to about 65K and the replacements about 50K with a lot of towing and defective trailer brakes. I'm currently running Axis Metal Masters on the rear for 18K and look good with the fronts 100 series Metal Masters waiting to go in.

Jim,
Generally a well setup vehicle should wearout two sets of pads in the front for each rear set. Either your LSP or BV are defective or not setup properly.

[quote author=ppc link=board=2;threadid=12593;start=msg115918#msg115918 date=1078526142]
On the original OEM '94 front pads 28K and they were done to the metal 25K next time around. Third replacement was TRD pads only lasting 6K and damaged the rotors. They always sounded like they were grinding from day one. Had to check them fequently. Replaced rotors at 78K and ~half worn pads(25k) with 100 series pads. Last I checked they still have plently left with 40K on them. The original rears lasted to about 65K and the replacements about 50K with a lot of towing and defective trailer brakes. I'm currently running Axis Metal Masters on the rear for 18K and look good with the fronts 100 series Metal Masters waiting to go in.

Jim,
Generally a well setup vehicle should wearout two sets of pads in the front for each rear set. Either your LSP or BV are defective or not setup properly.
[/quote]

Sounds right to me, 15K for my fronts and 95K for my rears looks like I'm doing all of my braking with the fronts. Sounds like an adjustment is inorder. Now I need to find out how to adjust them without screwing things up.

Pit,

Curious if we could add this stipulation to your rear pad question: Please comment if you changed them yourself or looked at them personally if someone else did it.

I mention this because I've had similar discussions on brakes on other boards and found that many displeased with their pad life were folks who were told by their dealer/mechanic that "the brakes were worn out" and simply wrote checks. The people who did their own brakes mysteriously got an average life nearly 50% greater. So, could responders clarify this aspect of their brakes as some above have?

DougM

Doug I witnessed all of the pad wear myself. I have a friend that has his own shop. I have to admit the last pair of fronts went close to 16K miles and were making noise (squeling) even though there was some pad left.

FWIW, the FSM says minimum thickness for rear pads is 1mm, front is 4mm. I replaced my rears recently, but probably didn't need to, just doing an all around brake job so figured I'd do it anyways. I suspect many replace rear pads long before 1mm is reached.

"Doug I witnessed all of the pad wear myself."

Man, that's dedication. You must have a pretty wild hairdo by now! :D

[quote author=Pitbull link=board=2;threadid=12593;start=msg115944#msg115944 date=1078527777]
Doug I witnessed all of the pad wear myself. I have a friend that has his own shop. I have to admit the last pair of fronts went close to 16K miles and were making noise (squeling) even though there was some pad left.
[/quote]
You probably already know this but, squealing and/or noise from the brakes is not an indicator they are going bad. Noise from the brakes can be expected from normal usage, usually it is just vibrations between pads/caliper etc. Different pads have different noise "characteristics"
If brakes squeal constantly when you are NOT braking, then your it's probably your brake indicator warning tabs telling you it is near time to replace your pads

[quote author=IdahoDoug link=board=2;threadid=12593;start=msg115950#msg115950 date=1078528114]
"Doug I witnessed all of the pad wear myself."

Man, that's dedication. You must have a pretty wild hairdo by now! :D
[/quote]

Doug, that line deserves acknolwedgment :beer: :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom