mildly confused about brakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
okay ive been reading in the archives both here and on pirate, and i think all i did was confuse myself. the hard line on the cruiser are pretty well rusted out and we're going to replace them. what are the fittings 9mm x 1.0 or 10mm x 1.0? And since the town where i buy parts is little will the Napa/ checker etc have the various unbent lines i need? ??? we do plan on bending our own if its cheaper thanks in advance

We bent our own...the lines at napa would be the ones with american sized tube (3/16 I think) and it will have metric ends. The ones with metric ends at napa have GREEN colored fittings. And you want the double flared...where they are flared in. Most of the ones there are the bubble flared ones...just look at your stock ones and you will be able to tell. If they dont have a size just ask and they will order it. It is MUCH cheaper than going with 'yota lines.

hth,
Max

If I remember correctly it seems that both 9 and 10mm are used and the 9mm was hard to find and I had to order from the dealer. Its been quite a while but if Napa can't get them then the dealer for sure.

Hope this helps. I bebuilt fj-40 78 front discs and rear cylinders(4- two on each wheel) and I cleaned all the threads with a 10mm x 1.0 tap and die, then put on anti-sieze so I could get them off next time(Brake fluid is hydroscopic and attrack moisture). good luck
mike in indiana

Bend your own. Bulk is way cheaper- plus you can get the length you might need/want. Napa didn't have that many metric double flare lines- and they were all going to cost more than making your own.
I can't remember whether it was 9mm or 10mm- But last summer I ran new brake lines for my wagon- double flare kit: $30, 25 feet of bulk line from summitracing.com approx $20. And I just cut off the old fittings, cleaned up the threads with a wire wheel, and throw then back on there before you flare the line. You can bend the tubing by hand- just make sure you don't kink the line. Other than that, it's a pretty easy deal.
Oh yeah. &nbsp:Double flare tools... If you search for them on forums, there's debate about quality: the $8 harbor freight variety, vs. the more expensive kind. I found one that I thought was middle of the road for $30, and it broke the little die piece on my last flare... Just a FYI.
Hope that helps- Zipp.

The Ridgid double flare tool works well, and doesn't cost too much. I got bulk line from a local hydraulics shop and bent my own lines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom