mildew in the A/C? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dmc

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.expeditionamericas.com
My 80 has developed a pretty strong mildew scent recenltly. Only notice it when the a/c first fires up. Is this just coincidence or could it be in the a/c system? It's 40th anniversary so it has the climate control if that makes a difference. Any suggestions on where I should start looking? There is no odor when I only run the fan. It's been in the high 90s here lately so it has been running pretty much non-stop if that makes a difference. I'm in Utah so it's a dry environment with relatively low humidity. Any thoughts and ideas are appreciated.
thanks,
dmc

That's exactly what it is. When you use your ac, as much as you can try to switch it to fresh air, from recirculating for the last few minutes of every trip. This will help it.

Man I really need to work on my search skills. Thanks fellas. It always bugged me that the auto climate is always on recycle. I would change it for a while after I bought the truck but just got lazy and left it on auto all the time.
dmc

You may want to get some Frigifresh from your BG guy as well.

Hooligan said:
That's exactly what it is. When you use your ac, as much as you can try to switch it to fresh air, from recirculating for the last few minutes of every trip. This will help it.
I'm not sure how this will help. The problem is caused by moisture & dirt in the evaporator providing nutrients for growing mold and or mildew. In most cases, when running the ac on fresh air, even more moisture is collected than when running on recirc.

If you want to try to dry out the evaporator before shutting down, then I would suggest running with the AC off, fan on, and source the air that is driest, which depending on the conditions, could be either inside air or outside air.

I have used a cleaner called DW2 which is sprayed into the evaporator with fan running. It is a foaming cleaner. Seems to help. It is overpriced, but, what the hell. Others on this site have also recommended it. You can buy it from the manufacturer. Search for it on the web.

Interesting side note. When enough of the active ingrediant in DW2 gets in the streams and lakes, it causes male fish to become female fish. Don't use it if you are a male fish and like being that way.

cruiserdan said:
You may want to get some Frigifresh from your BG guy as well.

Picked up Frigifresh tonight from a fellow club member while attempting to do my PHH and he thinks it should take care of it. thanks cdan.
dmc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom