Mildew Covered Interior on 1982 FJ40 out of Long Term Storage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First, I wanted to thank everybody for all their advice so far on getting the old family 40 on the road. It should be mechanically ready to go next week. The next big hurdle is the interior. The seats and floor coverings are all covered in mildew and smell absolutely terrible. You can almost see the mildew on any vinyl surface. The headliner is also sagging so bad it is a safety issue, and it is getting worse by the day. It is virtually undrivable as it sits right now, even with the mechanical side fixed. My question is for the flooring and seats- do I even attempt to salvage them or just go with aftermarket stuff (driver seat has a big tear also). I would like to keep it original, but I more would just like to be comfortable in it quicker and without spending too much more. Also, looks like headliner options are pretty slim and I have a strong feeling that some of the smell is trapped in there as well. Any creative options for the headliner?

You might have to remove the seat covers and clean and lightly bleach both sides and the foam seat cushions underneath. You could have a shop recover the one seat base with near-matching vinyl, if that's what is cracked.

If the foam in the headliner is also mildewed, I'd just replace the entire headliner with a new one. The foam under the perforated vinyl is likely crumbling and won't survive a dismount and reglue attempt.

You might have to remove the seat covers and clean and lightly bleach both sides and the foam seat cushions underneath. You could have a shop recover the one seat base with near-matching vinyl, if that's what is cracked.

If the foam in the headliner is also mildewed, I'd just replace the entire headliner with a new one. The foam under the perforated vinyl is likely crumbling and won't survive a dismount and reglue attempt.
Thanks.

How big of a deal would it be just to get rid of the vinyl floor? Or should I really make an attempt to clean?

Thanks.

How big of a deal would it be just to get rid of the vinyl floor? Or should I really make an attempt to clean?
Tread lightly, if that’s an original floor mat and it’s in good shape it’s worth some coin.

A mild solution with some water simple green and bleach would do wonders for the floor mats. Get some old tooth brushes and get to work. Wipe up as you go. Also, get some tub-o-towels cleaning wipes from an auto parts store. They work great on stubborn goo, dirt, grease and mold.

bleach and water in a spray bottle and a stack of old towels, use white towels and youll see the color from the mildew as it collects on the rag when you wipe. youll be suprised at how much is there. I'd get after the foam in the seats for sure, if doing a nice resto then I'd have them redone by a good shop who might be able to source OEM material. Any fabric or fiberboard is a case by case call after you clean the surface. If I wash it with bleach once and let it dry and it still smells like moldy must then Id replace.

Don't use bleach, it will damage the stitching and will be coming loose within a couple of months

everyone's correct, "sanitizing" solution is like an oz (2 cap fulls) in several gallons of water... not "Cups" of it. And or "Clorox cleanup" (comes in pour bottle at home stores, use per label) and simple green. Friend had a boat cleaning business swore buy it.

Thank you all.

So the plan for the interior is cut out the existing headliner and discard. Scrape any of the remaining glue and foam off the roof. Have an upholsterer glue in an aftermarket headliner from SOR or similar. Remove the seats and re-cover the two damaged fronts with aftermarket vinyl. Reuse the seat foam if possible. With the seats out clean all remaining soft surface with the recommended cleaning solution. Reassemble seats and reinstall. Does this sound right? Should I try and keep the front seat covers and see if a leather shop or someone could repair?

If I was going so far as to do any reupholstering I would replace the foam.....and probably the material. The labor will be the same or more either way and I think you will regret not replacing sooner than later. That foam is almost 40 years old.

When I bought my FJ40 there was no headliner installed. And, I removed the top anyways. I can understand the desire to have one on a nice restored vehicle, but consider if there are higher priorities. You can drive it and it will look ok without.
Mine also had a pretty basic rubber floor mat, which although looked brand new and was in great condition (and fit), looked to me like a good way to trap moisture inside the floor and cause rust. I put it away someplace that I might remember to reinstall it if I ever get it ready to sell.
Be carefull what you clean with and how concentrated you use bleach. It's commonly seen as a mild household cleaner, but it can eat and discolor all kinds of things.

I dont have much free time between work so ill type this in a hurry
but I have been cleaning mildew around the house with success using white vinegar.
Might be worth looking into. Bleach prices/availability made me look when cleaning up around the house using vinegar. Im a cheap skate on some things haha. A cup of white vinegar worked great to make the inside of my dishwasher like new again.
in the sink, shower head etc. to get the buildup around faucets, drains, shower mold

OK so bleach is at the alkaline end of the pH scale and white vinegar is an acid on the other end of the pH scale. What you are actually doing with killing living organisms (mold etc.) or the materials that living organisms are made out of with using a solution that changes the pH from neutral to either acidic or alkaline is the changing of the pH changes the electrical charges on the individual amino acids R-groups that make up protein structures. When the electrical charges change the bonding of the amino acids starts to come undone called denaturation. This unravelling or unwrapping of the protein in the membrane structures of living organisms causes the cells to break apart (lyse) destroying the cell and the organism along with it. That's why you use bleach or acid based products as a bacterial disinfect. So any MILD alkaline (bleach) or acid (white vinegar) will work on getting rid of mold and mildew. Can you tell i have been locked up in quarantine to long!

Tread lightly, if that’s an original floor mat and it’s in good shape it’s worth some coin.

Ugh, when I got my first cruiser years ago, I didn't know this and chucked a perfectly good oem floormat. :bang: :bang:

I've had success cleaning some pretty bad mildew on honda civic recently with white vinegar.

Thanks, this is what I wanted to know.

It is in good shape except for the mildew
Ugh, when I got my first cruiser years ago, I didn't know this and chucked a perfectly good oem floormat. :bang: :bang:

I've had success cleaning some pretty bad mildew on honda civic recently with white vinegar.

I have a bad habit of saving everything off of these trucks. Anyone need any front drum parts?

When you remove the vinyl seat covers and if you aren’t in a hurry you might put the seat foam out in direct sunlight, the longer the better. I’ve never done it but just wondered if it would be worth a try.

When you remove the vinyl seat covers and if you aren’t in a hurry you might put the seat foam out in direct sunlight, the longer the better. I’ve never done it but just wondered if it would be worth a try.
I will try that. I know the foam is old but for most of their life, no one was sitting on them. The cushions are really expensive and I can only find the bottom ones. Late model ones seem to be more molded. I wonder if I just bought something generic if it will work as long as I get it all stuffed in the seat covers?

Cruiser Corps for the headliner.

They sell good seat covers but I don't see 79+ on their website.

Cruiser Corps for the headliner.

They sell good seat covers but I don't see 79+ on their website.
Thanks, purchased the headliner. I will get the rig back on Wednesday from having the gas tank replaced. I am gonna try and give everything else on the interior a good second cleaning and then evaluating again what else absolutely needs replacing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom