Mikes 1962 FJ40 Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

majojo4

SILVER Star
Threads
We got pretty far in one day. I need to get down to the frame by the end of tommorow(March 29, 2008), so we can get it to the powdercoater. Thats my goal anyways. The compression on the original motor all checked in...nothing below 130. Spector says im in pretty darn good shape for a '62. I have had a blast stipping this baby down. I cant believe how simple these rigs are. Major thanks to my pops that flew out from San Diego to get this project started with me. I will continues to take pics and post them here.
:clap:

So are you or the rig from roseburg? I recall seeing one run around up there and for sale a while back.

Yes I have a rig in Roseburg but not for sale. Well I have another one that might be for sale.

here are the pictures..... of the tear down.
Lets get started.jpg
Front end panels off.jpg
Motor coming out.jpg

You had a busy weekend! What are your plans for it?

Sandblasted frame

I droppedd the frame off at the powdercoater on Monday(finally!). I called today and they have just blasted it so I went over to take some pics. Some cracks under the rear leaf spring mounts needed welding but that was it. They said it will be coated today but i will pic it up in the morning.
024.jpg
027.jpg
026.jpg

Mike - is that Rosenburg...Texas? How many rosenburgs are there in the USA? ;)

Can't wait to see the finished truck.

No, sorry man, I am in Roseburg, Oregon.

Is that the powder coater near Sutherlin or in Roseburg? Pm me how much it cost if you don't want to post up..

is that a satin black or gloss. my computer is a little screwed so i can't tell, looks great from what i can see. looks like they did a great job, if you don't mind me asking how much did that run you.

is that a satin black or gloss. my computer is a little screwed so i can't tell, looks great from what i can see. looks like they did a great job, if you don't mind me asking how much did that run you.

We went with a 50/50 ... Its a semi gloss black. It looks rad. I had it done at Double R Powdercoating in Sutherlin, Oregon. They gave me a super kick butt deal. Not sure I can say how good.

Mike - what is the Deal with the side doors? Those don 't look OEM, and the tub does not look OEM also?

It's an early factory soft top ala fj25. He made hard doors fit the oem soft openings and added a later top. Pretty cool and nice work.

:beer:

It's an early factory soft top ala fj25. He made hard doors fit the oem soft openings and added a later top. Pretty cool and nice work.

:beer:

WESINTL said it. He knows my story on my rig. Althought it looks ok...it doesnt look as good up close as I wanted it to look. I had two confident metal fab guys of which werent near as good as the put on. So...now I am in the works to have the bows and soft top made to put it back to its glory days.

Ok it has been a little while since I have posted an update. I have had a bit of a snag. After the frame was powdercoated i realized how much damage there was everywhere. Hard to see it all when it was covered in mud rust and grime. Two of the shackle hangers were so crooked, the many rewelds had to be cut off and rewelded in the proper alignment. Many cracks were found and repaired. the bigest issue was the rear channel bumper. It was not possible for me to find one for my year. I coundnt even find one from another year. Spector had one but it was tweeked as well. The problem with my existing one was a serious warp(it was arched) from somone welding a large reciever hitch on the underside...too much heat. It had also been beat to heck. I have fabed a new channel and it turned out great!. I also machined down 10mm bolt heads to replicate the factory rivots. Here are some pictures of the first try on this afternoon. I had to throw on the bumperettes just to see how pretty it was all together.
fj40 bumper0.jpg
fj40 bumper1.jpg
fj40 bumper2.jpg

The bummer will be forking out the cash for the whole frame to go through sandblasting and powdercoating again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom