Might buy my uncle's '91 Minitruck...stuff to look for?

Discussion in '95-older Toyota Truck Tech' started by Badfish740, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Badfish740

Badfish740

My uncle might be picking up a '95 extended cab with a V6, so he's selling his minitruck and I need a new DD. It's a '91, 4x4, 5 speed, 4 cyl (22RE I guess?), with 126K on the clock, totally basic, no power, bench seat, no a/c, etc... Overall it's in very good shape except for the passenger side door/doorsill is caved in-my cousin was going through a parking lot and took a tight turn around a concrete piling. At around 90K the timing chain gave out so it had a major overhaul by Toyota at that time. Anyway like I said overall it's in very good condition, but is there anything I should be looking out for that might be ready to go, etc...? For example, I'm borrowing the truck this week and I notice that there is a decent amount of gear whine from the trans. Now I know what my FJ-40 transmission sounded like, but I thought that the minitruck would be a little quieter. I just want to know that this truck isn't going to need a transmission in the near future. Any ideas on what to look for/get checked out?

2. Cube Dweller

Cube Dweller Moderator

My '86 had a rebuilt tranny in it that had about 30K on it when I bought it. It whined pretty loud, but I put 40K on it, with no issues. It shifted fine too.

I wouldn't worry about it.

3. Cube Dweller

Cube Dweller Moderator

Except maybe flush and refill with Redline MTL. That quiets even British car trannies.

4. KLF

KLF Frame waxer SILVER Star

The tranny in my '87 has been whining for over 2 years, 50K miles now. Still runs great. Drain & fill the tranny with some fresh synthetic gear lube, should be good to go.

Not sure how much rust you're willing to tolerate, but that's something to look for. Bottom edge of the tailgate in particular.

Timing chain let go at 90K? That's odd. Does he ever change the oil?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.