Might be moving to Boise :-o (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pjohnson

SILVER Star
Threads
Job interview went very well. They're flying me and the Mrs back for a look see at the area. We'll have 3 days.

Job is in downtown and I don't want more than a 20 minute commute, even as the area grows. Looking for a community that feels welcoming and safe. No kids, all grown. Probably retire from this job in 10 years.

Where should we look? What should we not miss when we're there?

Thanks for the help.

Phil

So, it depends upon interests and $. Looking at your current location, maybe Gilroy, CA? Cost of living is likely way less in Boise than CA. Just north of downtown is pretty cool older neighborhood ("The North End") that's walkable to downtown and the Greenbelt along the river; "Bench" area to south also has mix of old/new; also lots of new condos being built downtown if you don't want yards and such. If you don't commute during "Boise rush hour" 7:00-9 am / 3:45-6:45 pm, you can find pretty much any kind of property within 20 minutes. That said, rush hour here adds 10-15 min to commute (and I live 19 miles from airport along probably one of worst routes - Eagle Road to freeway).

In my research, SE Boise is very interesting. Are you on the north side of the river or south?

My wife is really keen on a small community feel. What neighborhoods are like this? SE Boise?

I live on the south side, not far from Bown Crossing in wood duck island subdivision. I think it has a small community feel. North side is nice too but in Harris ranch the yards are a little smaller than we wanted and warm springs Mesa seemed like it would be a hard run home up hill. We run a fair bit on the green belt.

Thanks for the replies. I'll look up those neighborhoods. I like the SE area and hope the wife does too.

Steve - good to hear from you. If this all works out, we'll come for a visit.

Everything went great up to the offer. Oh well, wife and I really enjoyed the visit although she wasn't in love.

Thanks for the input.

I'm in an identical situation, moving from Springfield MO to Boise this summer. The wife and I have found great pricing in Nampa, Meridian and all over downtown Boise and SE of there. Is there any reason to avoid Nampa besides the commute to Boise everyday? I feel like there must be catch, some houses are the "too good to be true" price when the exact same style home is double the price in SE Boise. Thanks in advance!

Right on thanks MOTO, are there any obvious areas we should avoid for crime and safety reasons? We like Eagle, Meridian and almost all of South East Boise. Anything to watch for?

Eagle and meridian commutes can be long due to the roads mentioned above. I don't think crime is bad in any of those areas. Lots of access to restaurants and shopping in meridian/eagle. Boise North end is nice too, houses tend to be older in that area which can mean small garage and lots of fixing up if it hasn't already been done .

Right on thanks MOTO, are there any obvious areas we should avoid for crime and safety reasons? We like Eagle, Meridian and almost all of South East Boise. Anything to watch for?

I am in Garden City, kind of considered the "ghetto" here. Old run down part of town not developed much yet.

Since September I have been helping my friend remodel his house. We got all kinds of stuff laying around from tools to expensive construction materials. Nothing stolen. My buddy has also lived in this neighborhood his whole life, never had a thing stolen.

Crime seems pretty friggin low to me in this area compared to other cities this size.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom