For Sale Midland, TX - 1976 FJ40 SOLD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
When I started this project, I had zero kids; now I have 3. We can't fit the whole family in it and I really don't have time to mess with it anymore with 3 kids 5 and under. I'd call this project 90% complete. It's been a work in progress almost 5 years now and I've decided to put all my effort in to my HDJ81 instead. I'll try to run through everything I can remember:

Drive train:
1F / 1967 SM420 / 4.7:1 Marlin Crawler Toybox / 2.3:1 FJ62 38MM Transfer Case - I rebuilt everything but something is goofy in the transmission. 1st, R, 3rd and 4th are easy to get in to but 2nd shifts really poorly. It probably needs opened back up. The Toybox and Transfer case both shift super smoothly. I built some linkage to have individual shifters for H/L and 2/4. I resurfaced the flywheel and installed a new Centerforce clutch and PP. T/O bearing and pilot bushing are also new. P.S. - I know this is engine is not stock for this year truck; I discovered this AFTER my dad picked it up for me in another state 6 years ago when I bought it...

Body/Frame:
Body is rust free (was fixed in a couple spots by P.O.) and painted stock red color. It looks fantastic from 10' but it's not a perfect paint job. The rear driver side jump seat has a little cut. The other 3 are perfect. P.O. upgraded to later model seat belts. I extended the front frame rails forward a bit.

Suspension/Steering/Brakes:
I did an SOA utilizing FJ62 leaf packs and FJ62 axles (3" wider and factory truss). Front axle was cut and turned and totally rebuilt with Marlin Crawler rebuild kit and Marlin Crawler reinforcement kit. I upgraded calipers to the larger diameter ones from a later model 4runner and upgraded the master cyl as well to match the larger caliper pistons. I also added slotted rotors. Steering box is also from an FJ62. Steering arms/drag link/and tie rod are all from 4x4 Labs using GM 1 ton TRE's. I left differential gears stock as its PLENTY low with 7:1 first gear and 4.7:1 first case. Front axles shafts are 4340 gun barrel drilled Longfields (inners and birfs both) from Trailgear. (highest strength version offered). I also installed track bar from Ruff Stuff on rear axle. Rear drive shaft has DC joint on top. I was targeting a stretch to 100" wheel base and it measures at slightly over 99".

Tires/Wheels:
37"X12.50X17 BFG KM2's on Method aluminium wheels; the front has 90% tread and the back has 50%

What is needs to be "finished"

1. Shocks front and rear.
2. Front drive shaft ( I have a DC joint and square drive shift that will go with truck if you want it)
3. Exhaust from header collector back
4. Add Lockers of your choice
5. Flywheel needs a dust cover
6. Figure out what's the deal with 2nd gear in the transmission
7. Install Power Steering pump and lines (P.S. pump comes)
8. Trim rear fenders out for full flex
9. Transmission needs a shift boot
10. Needs black rattle can a few spots that were welded

I'm probably missing a few things here but that should cover the main stuff. I'd HIGHLY encourage the buyer to trailer it home. It's really not ready to take out on the open road yet. I have a gazillion dollars and even more hours in this project that I know I won't recover. I'm asking $15,000 or will consider partial trade for any year WRX (regular or STI) wagon.

PM more and I can txt tons more pics if needed.

IMG_2379.jpg

IMG_2380.jpg

IMG_2382.jpg

IMG_2649.jpg

Last edited:
All my Toyota 4X4 buddies told me I was crazy so I've dropped the price to $15K. I'll also still entertain offers on a WRX Wagon.

I live in odessa and might be interested. pm me and we can set up a time to look at it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom