Builds Middle East spec 1992 RJ77 -- 'Biscuit' (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Think gcc rj77 i am buying is same model ... axle code g974 would be 4.55 gears with 8 in rear end

Cool trucks but my god I can't imagine how slow these things must be. My buddy that I wheel with has an RJ70 and we pretty much have to push it up the mountains.

Dead reliable though.

Well Biscuit does not like to get up to 100 kph and does not feel particularly good in terms of driving stability at that speed. And I did have new tires and a good alignment on it--I watched them do the alignment myself.

I don't have a photo of the dataplate at hand--and it was darnd hard to read. But I will be with the car next week and take a good photo. I believe the gear ratios to be stock from the factory as most everything else in the truck is stock.

If it feels unstable at speed maybe check suspension bushings and steering play. What RPM are you running at 100km/h?

Hi AHN,
I had all of the bushings replaced, front axle and back, when I bought the truck, and then an alignment. At 100 km/h I think it was mid-high 2000's RPM. It did not exactly feel unstable. Just . . . unhappy. When I am back in Virginia I will do some more driving at high speed and provide some more information.

The trunnion bearings in the axle knuckles can cause issues too. They can get worn to an oval shape and make the vehicle track weird. Made a big difference to mine when I replaced them.

That said, with everything I've done to mine, it's always taken extra attention to keep it in the right lane on the highway. Not sure if that's just a solid axle land cruiser thing or not.

Interesting to hear about the acceleration challenge. I guess the 22R has less torque than a 2LT, but more hp. Should give this a try and see how your truck stands compared to other cruisers: Ih8mud diesel drag challenge I recommend the 'Perfexpert' app.

Ah yes, somehow I had totally forgotten you had the bushings replaced :rolleyes: Sometimes an engine just feels buzzy or unhappy at higher RPM’s, that was true of my old Jetta TDI. Mid to high 2000’s doesn’t sound too bad though, my 2L-TE would do 3200 at 110km/h.

my wagon still has all the original bushes and shocks/springs,feels very stable at this speed , even the silly sport button still works making the suspension particularly hard,makes a big crack noise and bang when going over speed bumps to fast - feels like the diff will rip out of the front,goes around corners really nicely to will easily cruise at 120/130km/hr, maybe its the stock height and wheels that keep it nice and stable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom