Mid tub mount cancer, opinions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Now I know many will be urged to say cut out all the rust and replace with virgin metal, but that is not an option here as this is going to be a short term (winter) project. I picked this truck for the original freeborn survivor paint and I embrace most that comes with it, unfortunately I cant let these mounts bubbling through slide, since I’d like to have the interior monstalined soon. My conundrum is weather I should just butt weld in sheet metal to keep the factory look or add a heavier guage fish plate on top which should make a stronger mounting point since that internal support has also been compromised.

and again, I may have to hide some ugly with this one since my shop is already full of personal “long term” projects. This FJ is for the wife, and I promised her it will be good to go by spring and Im a one man show. It will not be driven alot and will live inside my dry barn.

pictures

AA45F623-111C-4C01-B75F-19832C76F737.jpeg

1681D371-8EC1-4A27-A1A9-A122BB643D98.jpeg

1E71BB53-3732-4EC8-95B7-FD1FA5F6AA5C.jpeg

548646BA-189D-44D2-81A4-39A1C2C8A114.jpeg

The passenger side was not as bad, but that damn bolt broke when trying to remove it, any wise man hacks at getting it out without having to drill while stil in truck?

A9417DBD-5DFD-4F04-8463-070A1BB55BB2.jpeg

Do it right or just throw a rug over the floor.

there are levels to “doing it right”

in my eyes to truly do it right the tub comes off and gets flipped and reconstructed from the bottom up. I don’t have the time or space for that.

Pretty bad but I can address that down the road while keeping it driving.

there are levels to “doing it right”

in my eyes to truly do it right the tub comes off and gets flipped and reconstructed from the bottom up. I don’t have the time or space for that.

You must understand, people on this thread have many, many ways to repair an FJ40. It seems you have a budget, have a timeline , and are capable of decisions for your needs. Pretty hard to fine an exact answer when you know your own needs.

It doesn’t seem to be bad. I’d cut out the rusted metal and then put a thicker patch under. Weld it in underneath with lap joints. I’d even grind it to be a bit thinner for the strip that overlaps, so that the top surface is even.

How bad is the rear sill?
In my case, the structural absence of the rear sill probably caused much of the damage at the mounts in question. I say this because there were stress cracks that went kinda far from the bolts. I oiled the lower portion of the bolts, and used a slow backing out with an occasional twist back in to clear the rust. My tub looked far worse at this point, but the bolts seemed to only show surface rust. I don't know if you can get your bolt out without heat, and I don't know if you can use heat without replacing the body mount.

When I was driving around, the whole end of the tub would lift from the frame, and when it came down, it made a horrible sound. Initially, I thought it was the spare tire carrier or ambulance doors, then on the trail, my buddy was able to witness the tub move as I was climbing over obstacles.

When I got home, I added plate cut from bent-up rear bumperettes over the middle body mounts. Then I added some vertically oriented channel (custom cut from 3" ish box) right in front of the rear roll bar gusset with two M8 screws. It went to a couple of factory (?) holes on the frame and it was sandwiched in by some fabric reinforced rubber from a exhaust hanger kit. So, as long as the mice aren't eating it, keep it. And, I bought some time before I figure out how I'm going to fix the rear sill.

I'll get photos in the near future.

If you were to put a jack on the tub, do you think that you could lift it and get some wiggle room to remove the mount from the frame? That way, you can get the fabric portion out of the way of some heat, or just replace the nut side of the mount?

As promised:

driver side, drilled holes top, factory holes with rubber mount on the underside on the bottom. I should probably replace that piece of fabric on the left.
IMG_20201012_182340.jpg

passenger side
IMG_20201012_182600.jpg

mid tub mount reinforcement
IMG_20201012_182621.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom