Mid and Long Travel Suspension Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m looking to replace my stock suspension and was going to go the routine route of replacing shocks, springs, and UCA but found kits from Total Chaos and Baja Kits that provide mid and long travel options. I was curious if anyone has any experience with any of these kits? Not sure if they would provide any benefit for me but exploring all options before I upgrade my suspension.

'08-Current Toyota Landcruiser 200 Series 4

Truck Suspension - Toyota 4WD - Land Cruiser LC200 - Chase Kits
What are your goals for the 200? I see you're local to me, theres also a DC area Land Cruiser club. Depending on what you want from your suspension and how you plan to use it, will better give an idea of what route you should go. Otherwise you'll get the guys with the long travel kits tell you that's definitely what you should do and the normal lift say that's what you should do.

What are your goals for the 200? I see you're local to me, theres also a DC area Land Cruiser club. Depending on what you want from your suspension and how you plan to use it, will better give an idea of what route you should go. Otherwise you'll get the guys with the long travel kits tell you that's definitely what you should do and the normal lift say that's what you should do.
[/QUOTE]

Nice to chat with someone local and I will check out the DC Land Cruiser club. I have been looking at all sorts of suspensions set ups and still working out what will be the best setup for me.

I use my truck for all kinds of outdoor adventures with time split on and off-pavement generally quite full and heavy on my trips. In addition to regional trips, it will be used for extended trips out west in the high mountains and in the desert. I might be towing a small backcountry trailer at times as well. I would like the max lift I can install without significant driveline issues.

Total Chaos Tundra LCAs = long travel for the Cruiser. Pair those with OEM steering components, drive shaft, and Total Chaos UCAs!!

Not familiar with that particular kit from TC - I thought their LC stuff was boxed? 2.5” wider LCA isn’t too bad, but you’ll notice the difference driving due to wider turning radius etc.

If most of your fun is at low speed and you aren’t jumping the truck, I wouldn’t waste your money. If you ARE it’ll be a lot more than just that kit. You’ll want dual shock hoops, bypasses, solid mount LCA, shock tower brace, hydro bumps, and then the rear will need changes as well. Everything will squeak, alignments will be a pain, and it’ll drive odd as hell. Long travel will give a slight lift, but the benefit of more travel is more droop and bump, not just bump travel.

You can get really far with a stock cruiser or a mild lift and some aftermarket suspension if you ride heavy.

if you are still interested in long travel and what it entails I suggest reading tacomaworld, their long travel section is very very informative.

also, you can use this as motivation. Solo Motorsports XLT kit, pulls 19”, drilled for 5/8 studs. It’s going on my daily :)

C55440CC-9057-481C-9473-EC9D6468BE8A.jpeg

Nice to chat with someone local and I will check out the DC Land Cruiser club. I have been looking at all sorts of suspensions set ups and still working out what will be the best setup for me.

I use my truck for all kinds of outdoor adventures with time split on and off-pavement generally quite full and heavy on my trips. In addition to regional trips, it will be used for extended trips out west in the high mountains and in the desert. I might be towing a small backcountry trailer at times as well. I would like the max lift I can install without significant driveline issues.
[/QUOTE]

IMO if you aren't high speed desert running there isn't much need for long travel. With the trails we have on the east coast I couldn't justify a long travel set up. It is cool and would look sick! You also have the Tundra swap that's mentioned.

If you want to get a feel for a regular OME lift on a 200, we can work something out. You aren't too far away from me.

Long travel would be cool but it would be the last thing on my list for a rig like you are building. Armor followed by storage and organization would have to be squared away first.

I appreciate the information and as much as long travel would be cool I’ll move forward with new shocks, UCA, and springs. Armor is already on my shortlist. What is the max height that can be done on a lift without having issues with the driveline? Is a 3” lift an issue or better stay under 3”?

Not sure if you’re tracking but mid travel is much more affordable than long travel, long travel if done right with ALL THE PARTS NECESSARY will be the price of a new car. I would just replace stock suspension with quality shocks like kings/fox/icon.

I appreciate the information and as much as long travel would be cool I’ll move forward with new shocks, UCA, and springs. Armor is already on my shortlist. What is the max height that can be done on a lift without having issues with the driveline? Is a 3” lift an issue or better stay under 3”?

Who is offering 3"? When I was getting my lift, I saw it listed as ~2.5" at least for the brands I looked at.

As another option, fit the largest diameter tire you're comfortable with. Tire sidewall is as good of a suspension as any.

A lot can be accomplished with the stock travel as is. Yes, more would be better, but there's going to be compromises to daily driving and long term durability of CVs and axles.

1" of added droop travel can be gained at the front axle with the OEM shock spacers. Another inch with Tundra arms as @turbo8 points out. And/or extended travel shocks for front and rear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom