mid 90's gm steering box??? (1 Viewer)

i put one of these newer gear box on my 40 because they are easer to get and my 91 4.3 bolted to it ! that said has any one cut the steering stops out of the gear box?? i would really like to do this it gives extra turn rad. right now i dont come close to the bump stops:frown: on the axel

weld pitman arm?

So it's not legal to build your own Pitman? I made mine out of 3/4" strap, welded the splined socket from the stock one in a hole so it's all surrounded with a 360 degree weld. Is that illegal? Why wouldn't it be safe?

Where in the world is it illegal to modify your truck? You live in California or something? I work in a trailer manufacturing plant and we do stuff like that all the time, never thought it could be illegal.

i was told welding your pitman arm was jut a illeagal as driving bead locks on the highway i havent been pulled over yet:hillbilly:. so the you guys think modifying the arm is easier than messing with the box

DYI Pitman

In my uneducated opinion, my pitman is about 3 times as strong as a stock one. I carefully measured the travel and the drop and made just what I need. (This was after half a day at the junkyard looking but as far as I could tell what I needed had never been mfg'ed by anyone).The taper for the TRE is an easy to find reamer, the hardest part was bending 3/4 X 3" strap in a nice neat way.(my torch is a little small to heat that)

I live in Montana, nothing's really illegal here. maybe California might be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom