Mickey (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just a sad day note. I just took Mickey to the vet and found out that he has a torn ACL in his left rear leg. Boy do I wish it had been a broken leg after all :frown: Our vet basically said that this is unfortunately common in large bread dogs. He can do surgery that may or may not work (recommended 40lbs or less not the 125lbs that Mickey weighs). Or we can take him to Medford and have his knee rebuilt (which also may not work). For now I bought some glucosamine? and some other supplements as well as some pain killers...at $7.25 each. He said there isn't a huge hurry it isn't life threatening, but if he limps too long his other leg may blow out also :bang:. I never thought I'd even consider spending $2,500.00 to rebuild my dogs leg, nor $1,200.00 for a maybe fix. Boy was this a very unpleasant vet visit :crybaby:

:crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

IM so sorry dude!, that sucks! in our prayers.

Sorry to hear about Mickey. Isn't it weird how our pets become like our children? Wouldn't hesitate to spend whatever it takes to take great care of your kids, so Mickey is really no different. You WILL make the best decision for Mickey, whatever route and expense it takes cuz bottom line, you LOVE Mickey and he has been your bestfriend for a long time. Thoughts and Prayers go out to you, your family and Mickey. Bummer.

Sorry to hear that bro, it's tough.

Yeah the worse part is he's only 23 months old. So at two he's already having knee problems. If he was older it would be easier because we would know what to expect. I talked to the vet again and at his age it's really difficult to know if the surgery will be a long term fix. At this point he suggested just trying to see if we can get his limp to go away and keep him as inactive as possible for a while. If he can start putting real weight on it again then maybe we can hold off on surgery for at least a year or so... That was really good to hear, give us some time to save some money and make a more educated decision.

And thank all of you for your support. I never would have thought I'd get atatched to a dog. But he really has become like part of the family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom