Michelin Defender LTX - what size? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nope. That's not the same interpretation at all. There are base inflation pressures that one should not go below. For LT tires, that's ~35psi, even if load or weight requirements put it underneath that.

Not sure why you are talking about LT-Metric tires when I was talking about P-Metric tires, but if you stick with P-Metric tires as I did, you will see it is exactly the same interpretation. If you contend that an LT-Metric tire which should be inflated to 42psi is somehow better when run underinflated at 37psi (I'm guessing here, but is that why you contend pressures even as low as 35psi are OK?), then it is, by extension, your contention that a P-Metric tire that should be run at 33psi will somehow also be better when run at 28psi - despite the manufacturer's recommendation to run at 33psi.

You and I won't agree here and we've been debating this for awhile. My point is load rating is only one aspect for tire pressure tuning. It's a safe interpretation but not the only variable. You're an engineer. Interpreting engineering considerations from a singular vector would be myopic.

If it's safe for the heavier LX, there is absolutely zero reason it's not safe for the LC. If it's not safety, then it's to the individuals prerogative if they'd like to suffer a unduly harsher ride for... gaijin's technical correctness?

You are correct. As long as you insist on recommending underinflated pressures for LC200's, You and I will never agree.

"Technical correctness" does not belong to me, I merely point it out... at least for those who are willing to see it.

Sorry for the thread hijack - now, how about those Michelins, eh?

This raises another (probably silly) question: I have assumed if I went with stock sized Michelins I could keep my Dunlop spare. But given that each brand seems slightly different in size for the same spec, would it be bad to run a Dunlop spare in a long trip if I had to? I know it’s not an issue with 2WD cars (some have doughnut spares), but any concerns with a different brand spare on this full time 4WD vehicle?
That is exactly what I did. I would not hesitate to use the Dunlop spare if needed.

2016 LC, stock Dunlops are worn out at 43k miles. Pretty certain I’m going with Michelin Defender LTX, trying to determine size. My truck is DD and my tow vehicle for a @3500lb boat. Possible larger boat at some point although nothing over @5500lb. OEM front spacer, Firestone rear airbags, otherwise stock truck. All street use excpt occasional camping trips, dirt roads, farm roads, occasional dove fields. So far the lousy Dunlops have not been a problem for my very light off-road uses. I’m in Florida so rain performance is key, no snow to worry about.

Considering:
285/60/18XL stock size. Pro’s: available in XL, can buy only four & keep unused Dunlop spare. Con: the tire looks small & I would prefer taller from a looks standpoint.

P275/65/18: Pro’s: 0.6 taller. Slightly narrower, taller tire might give a slight mileage benefit? CON: have to buy 5. Lower max load although still exceeds my needs. Not sure if 0.6” taller would be noticeable, even to me.

LT285/65/18: better looking, tougher tire, better load capability although P rated tires are fine for my uses. Cons: weight, mileage, expensive especially buying 5.

I’m over thinking this...anyone have suggestions or opinions? Thanks in advance

One comment on the 285/65...your hitch will stick out farther than with the OEM tire on your spare. If your hitch doesn’t have multiple holes for different receiver depths, you may need a new hitch. I didn’t even consider this when I went to that tire size...discovered it when hooking up my travel trailer for a trip. Luckily my hitch has two sets of holes.

2016 LC, stock Dunlops are worn out at 43k miles. Pretty certain I’m going with Michelin Defender LTX, trying to determine size. My truck is DD and my tow vehicle for a @3500lb boat. Possible larger boat at some point although nothing over @5500lb. OEM front spacer, Firestone rear airbags, otherwise stock truck. All street use excpt occasional camping trips, dirt roads, farm roads, occasional dove fields. So far the lousy Dunlops have not been a problem for my very light off-road uses. I’m in Florida so rain performance is key, no snow to worry about.

Considering:
285/60/18XL stock size. Pro’s: available in XL, can buy only four & keep unused Dunlop spare. Con: the tire looks small & I would prefer taller from a looks standpoint.

P275/65/18: Pro’s: 0.6 taller. Slightly narrower, taller tire might give a slight mileage benefit? CON: have to buy 5. Lower max load although still exceeds my needs. Not sure if 0.6” taller would be noticeable, even to me.

LT285/65/18: better looking, tougher tire, better load capability although P rated tires are fine for my uses. Cons: weight, mileage, expensive especially buying 5.

I’m over thinking this...anyone have suggestions or opinions? Thanks in advance
Which tire did you end up going with? How do you like the new tires?

Went with 275/65R18. Very happy with the tires.
After all you learned what kept you from considering 275/70r18 in the Defender m/s? They seem to be a legitimate contender for what you were looking for.

I'd convinced myself this was the right choice for me, and am a couple of weeks from making the move. Thx.

After all you learned what kept you from considering 275/70r18 in the Defender m/s? They seem to be a legitimate contender for what you were looking for.

I'd convinced myself this was the right choice for me, and am a couple of weeks from making the move. Thx.
275/70r18 will fit no problem, but it’s an LT-E rated tire, 11 lb per tire heavier and requires much higher air pressures. For my uses an LT tire is not necessary. Hence my going with P rated 275/65r18. If you can benefit from an LT tire then I’m sure that would be a great size.

Just FYI --- I ran two sets of the Michelin LTX Defender 275/70R18 tires on my '13. It isan awesome tire and I put over 90,000 miles on each set. If you drive primarily on the road with some light trail work, they are awesome. I recently put a set of Ridge Grapplers on, really just because I wanted to try a different profile tire and feel. The Michelin LTX Defenders are awful hard to beat if you put a lot of miles on the truck. That was my experience with the E-rated models. Worth every penny and then some.

Just FYI --- I ran two sets of the Michelin LTX Defender 275/70R18 tires on my '13. It isan awesome tire and I put over 90,000 miles on each set. If you drive primarily on the road with some light trail work, they are awesome. I recently put a set of Ridge Grapplers on, really just because I wanted to try a different profile tire and feel. The Michelin LTX Defenders are awful hard to beat if you put a lot of miles on the truck. That was my experience with the E-rated models. Worth every penny and then some.
Great to hear, thank you. I'm more and more convinced it's right for me. My mission profile is just so different from most users on here. Easy beach driving (mostly medium-soft sand 12-15 psi) to access fishing 4-5 months, combined with pavement with occasional light trail work rest of year. Sporadic 300 mile runs to kid's college. Happy to add 11lbs a corner and a few more minutes of inflation time for having a bomber sidewall even though I'm not playing in the rocks anymore. Many would say overkill, but I value the peace-of-mind.

I had 275/70/18 Defenders right before I sold it, I think I put 3k miles on them. I had KO2s before and these really fit the bill. Coming from a 57 lb tire to a 51 tire it felt like a rocket ship afterward. Still a long way from 42 lb stock but I just love that chunky sidewall.

Edit: The other reason I like the Defenders is that I never managed to go off road in my aptly named Espresso Cruiser so these just worked. Also, look at that sidewall! To visually get this much sidewall you need at least 35 inch tires on an all terrain 18 inch. You can always go down to a 17 inch to get a good look and not that huge of a tire but I didn't want to buy new wheels at the time. I like skinny with a lot of sidewall it reminds me of the trucks I grew up with.

Second edit: Another picture. Ahhhh that sidewall.
20190305_135903.jpg
20190119_123108.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure about those sizes, but if I were to get Defenders, then I get stock size... only because you can get that size in XL rating.

Anyone running defender LTX 295/70 r18? If so, how’s the comfort and noise level? Struggling to pick a highway tire that won’t make my lifted Heritage look goofy. Currently running 285/70/18 RG’s but a bit noisy for relaxing family road trips.

Anyone running defender LTX 295/70 r18? If so, how’s the comfort and noise level? Struggling to pick a highway tire that won’t make my lifted Heritage look goofy. Currently running 285/70/18 RG’s but a bit noisy for relaxing family road trips.
running RG's as well. very noisy on the highway. Curious about the 295's as well! Most likely I'll go with 275

Those LC owners with 275/70/18……any rubbing on the KDSS bar???? Does it fit in spare tire?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom