MFD Multifunctional Display problems 2004 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bad day at my house, wife just came back from a short trip and said the nav screen was acting weird.:mad: I quick look by myself does not look good....

Says"check ac connection"
Plays radio and say"audio off"
Outside temp is not shown in LCD's below screen
Nothing responds......

Everything sounds like this
http://www.vfaq.net/docs/TSBs/EL002-05.pdf

I called my local dealer to ask if they have seen this and see if they have a low cost solution and they claim to never have repaired one?

Let down and disappointed

You might try disconnecting the battery, taking out the display (it's not terrifically hard, just some careful going with a plastic pry tool like the ones they sell at Harbor Freight), and disconnecting the M5 and M6 connectors, inspecting the pins, and then maybe sparying them down with a tiny bit of CAIG ProGold, and re-connecting them. This does scream that there's a broken connection in the serial data bus, and with all the vibration and heat cycling that the dash is subject to, I'd not be surprised if simply cleaning and reseating a loose pin connector wouldn't fix it. It shouldn't take more than two hours, going slowly, the first time. Having been into the dash to install my Sirius unit, I could probably get in there, reseat those connectors, and have it all back together in about 40 minutes.

Thanks for the idea, I assume to remove the mfd you just remove the vents on both sides to get at the bolts?

See my post (#4) here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series...avigation-stereo-not-working.html#post5920951

Since you've got an '04 and you're having the right symptoms, it's likely that you have the same problem as in the TSB.

If you're comfortable tinkering, you can try doing some diagnostics yourself. The FSM provides lots of details. You can check the appropriate fuses and some of the other steps in the TSB and in the service manual. You can also have the dealership or an independant shop do the diagnostics. If they tell you you need to buy a new MFD, you should have a few cheaper options as I noted in the link. In short, there are at least 2 electronics shops that should be able to repair your MFD for ~400 iirc. You can also buy used MFDs from parts vendors for ~1k. Sometimes you can find them on ebay, but the parts vendors often provide 1 or 2 year warranties. I reference the sources in the other link.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

My 04 Cruiser is going into the shop this week for the very same thing. For a new MFD I was quoted $5300. The Toyota dealership found a remanufactured one for $750 and the install will be about $150. That's considerably less than a new one. Toyota found the remanufactured part at a company called Denso, don't know anything about them.

Hope this helps.

Denso is the company that builds them new as the OEM for Toyota. They are sort of the Japanese equivalent of Bosch for German cars.

So it looks like you got a true factory refurbished unit!

I wonder if you could contact Denso directly and buy a unit for less and do the install yourself? I found their website:

DENSO CORPORATION

If anyone contacts them, let us know what happens. I've dug around there in the past and here's what they say (http://www.globaldenso.com/en/contactus/products/index.html):
"Automotive Components(OEM)

BEFORE SENDING A CONTACT FORM PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING
DENSO does not sell OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturing) parts direct to the consumer. We cannot release any information regarding product specifications, quality assurance and after-sales service of OEM parts.

IF YOU ARE INQUIRING ABOUT NON-AFTERMARKET PARTS, PLEASE CONTACT YOUR CAR MANUFACTURER OR LOCAL SERVICE DEALER.
"
That's straight off their site so it doesn't sound encouraging, but who knows.

I sent mine into autobeyours.com $325 was the quoted price and sounds like they have fixed quite a few LC and Prius MFD's. I will post back with the results. I think contacting Denso is a waiste of time, like calling GE direct for a part for your dishwasher.

Thread title needs to be changed to "Multi-Dysfunctional Display".

Fixed so far.....knocking on wood...crossing fingers. Autobeyours.com is the repair company I used and they did a good job. I went with them because they were cheaper compared to Mr. Whizard Technical Services - Instrument Cluster Repair, Speedometer Repair, Odometer Repair and Digital Dash Repair. The only thing that would have made me any happier is a quicker turn around, took 11 days total to get it back and I sent out 2day select. Beats $1000 for a used one that will prob break and $4500 for a new one.

R&R of the screen is pretty easy pull the dash vents on both sides of the MFD straight out, remove 4 screws and disconnect about 15 connectors and the whole center console is out. I am surprised we dont see more on ebay as the are an easy theft item with high value.

I would bet the 2004 100's end up with about an 80% failure rate for the MFD once everyone racks up some miles and some years of use.

Thanks for posting this up? Mine is still running strong, but it has always been a concern since it its so internally integrated. The repair is not cheap but not unreasonable.

I think your safe, bad batch was 2004

Problem is back 90 days later........... and it looks like the MFD problems are not isolated to just 04 models as its been reported in later years.

Might be time for me to sell?

Problem is back 90 days later........... and it looks like the MFD problems are not isolated to just 04 models as its been reported in later years.

Might be time for me to sell?
prolly won't sell to well without functioning HVAC or nav... just saying'...

I will fix it before I sell it, I just dont have any faith in a repaired MFD.

A new MFD is out of my price range............

We miss the FJZ80

I took the $900 route as stated above. Almost 6 months in, so far so good (knock on wood). Even if your 2nd repair doesn't do it you can always get the reman Denso unit. Not that $900 is fun to spend either.

Gradually started having weird problems on our nav. Sometimes at night the back-lighting on the buttons will flash, as if with an intermittent connection somewhere. Then lately it has started to respond slowly to button pushes on the touchscreen (albeit infrequently). Then a couple weeks ago it stopped responding to the light sensor that normally switches it to night mode when it gets dark out. This resulted in the normally bright daytime mode being on all the time, which ruined our night-vision for driving, so we just started turning off the display at night. Then, about a week ago I noticed that when starting up the truck after a cold night outside, the display would be very dim, almost unreadable. Eventually it would brighten up as you drove around.

Luckily, when we got the truck, I had the foresight to get the extended warranty. Normally I don't buy these things, especially for a Land Cruiser, but I had heard even way back in 2004 about potential issues with that generation nav system. Got a great deal, $1400 for the Toyota Financial Platinum 7yr/100K warranty w/ no deductible. This is not a third party warranty, but the factory Toyota warranty, and nav is covered under Platinum (but not under Gold!). Also, there was a full refund if we ended up not ever using it. So this was cheap insurance for me, since a new nav unit is $5300 plus installation.

Anyway, took it to the dealer on Tuesday. They tested it and recommended replacement, so a brand new nav system is on its way, no cost to me (except for the initial warranty cost)! Timing is perfect as well, since the warranty runs out this May! Sometimes (rarely) things just seem to work out.

Same here. This was the only time I have ever bought an extended warranty and it paid for itself with the Nav replacement.

Same here. This was the only time I have ever bought an extended warranty and it paid for itself with the Nav replacement.

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom