Mexico spec shocks? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bloc

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello,

Digging around in my favorite parts number program I noticed that on North American 200s there are two OE part numbers available for each shock.. one is standard, and another is "MEXICO SPEC." A preliminary search through my local toyota parts source suggests they are available too.

I was curious if anyone had messed with these, or has an idea how they'd be different? Different valving? firmer?

These are OEM toyota and as such likely only fit for stock height.. which means many here probably aren't interested, however for now leveling the front and ATs are as far as I'm going. And OEM shocks are surprisingly cheap (33 rear, 108 front)

Thanks for any info

Hi, I have a Mex Spec LC200 shocks are set up for harsher road conditions. But IMO did not feel any significan diference other than in my case since my rig is heavier than most 200 on this forum the oem shocks gave out very quickly.

Bumping this thread as one of my year-old OEM rear shocks has sprung a leak. I suspect the weight and tire pressure (tire spring rate) of 285/65 KO2s was too much for the stock dampers.. wondering whether "Mexico" shocks will last longer.

Bumping this thread as one of my year-old OEM rear shocks has sprung a leak. I suspect the weight and tire pressure (tire spring rate) of 285/65 KO2s was too much for the stock dampers.. wondering whether "Mexico" shocks will last longer.

After beating my BP-51 repeatedly and for long distances in various deserts including Baja roads that rattle several of our group tucks’ bolts loose or missing...my BPs were utterly unphased. Ask @Mogwai how fast we were flying at one point as he and I were both luck we did fly off a couple of embankments at high speed over one stretch together in the back of the group.

No “Mexican spec” required. Just a great set of shocks ready to take long, harsh bashing without fading. Truly impressive. I don’t know what Mogwai was running on his LX, but the BP were solid as can be through a rough Cruise Moab and three week of solid trails last summer.

After beating my BP-51 repeatedly and for long distances in various deserts including Baja roads that rattle several of our group tucks’ bolts loose or missing...my BPs were utterly unphased. Ask @Mogwai how fast we were flying at one point as he and I were both luck we did fly off a couple of embankments at high speed over one stretch together in the back of the group.

No “Mexican spec” required. Just a great set of shocks ready to take long, harsh bashing without fading. Truly impressive. I don’t know what Mogwai was running on his LX, but the BP were solid as can be through a rough Cruise Moab and three week of solid trails last summer.

I have no doubt a high-end shock setup would be better for that kind of use, but I rarely get to do stuff like that, and am intent on keeping the truck at stock height, so those high-end options are limited.

I did notice Bilstein makes a B6 drop-in.. but the rears are $175 each vs the $34 of OEM toyota. If I were still on originals I'd spend the money, but my OEM shocks are only 25k miles old. If the Mexico spec is any heavier duty it might work great for how I plan to use the truck.

OR.. It could be as simple as hypothetically mexican 200s came without a 3rd row so they are valved lighter.

Just trying to get info on what the difference actually is.

I have no doubt a high-end shock setup would be better for that kind of use, but I rarely get to do stuff like that, and am intent on keeping the truck at stock height, so those high-end options are limited.

I did notice Bilstein makes a B6 drop-in.. but the rears are $175 each vs the $34 of OEM toyota. If I were still on originals I'd spend the money, but my OEM shocks are only 25k miles old. If the Mexico spec is any heavier duty it might work great for how I plan to use the truck.

OR.. It could be as simple as hypothetically mexican 200s came without a 3rd row so they are valved lighter.

Just trying to get info on what the difference actually is.

Maybe some more basic info about lift and the role of shocks will help.

Keeping stock height has almost nothing whatever to do with the high-end-ness of shocks. All shocks do is regulate the speed and nature of compression upon impact...the speed and nature of rebound from those impacts...and how well they can absorb repeated compression and rebound without overheating.

Ride height is all about rear coil springs chosen and front spring choice or front coilover weight/preload adjustments. Shocks do literally zilch in determine lift compared to springs.

Buying more capable shocks will not determine lift. It will determine how your truck handles and deals with the abuse that can quickly overwhelm lesser shocks after even portions of a day on a harsh, speedy-ish surfaces as the kind Mexico is notorious for.

Maybe some more basic info about lift and the role of shocks will help.

Keeping stock height has almost nothing whatever to do with the high-end-ness of shocks. All shocks do is regulate the speed and nature of compression upon impact...the speed and nature of rebound from those impacts...and how well they can absorb repeated compression and rebound without overheating.

Ride height is all about rear coil springs chosen and front spring choice or front coilover weight/preload adjustments. Shocks do literally zilch in determine lift compared to springs.

Buying more capable shocks will not determine lift. It will determine how your truck handles and deals with the abuse that can quickly overwhelm lesser shocks after even portions of a day on a harsh, speedy-ish surfaces as the kind Mexico is notorious for.

My admittedly ignorant understanding was most of the high end offerings come in extended lengths that won’t compress enough for use with stock suspension and especially bump stop position. Then again I hadn’t really looked into it as I was assuming everything high end was to be used with a lift by default.

Edit: little research and I see Icon and BP51 both available down to 0” lift. Cool. Now we move on to sticker shock... given how I intend to use the truck. Nothing I’m doing is outside of how the landcruiser is built to be used stock. I’m back to stock wheel/tire weight.. for the very small cost of OEM dampers I’ll see if they last any longer when each corner isn’t approaching 90#

The question about Mexico spec shocks being any different stands though.

Last edited:
My admittedly ignorant understanding was most of the high end offerings come in extended lengths that won’t compress enough for use with stock suspension and especially bump stop position. Then again I hadn’t really looked into it as I was assuming everything high end was to be used with a lift by default.

Edit: little research and I see Icon and BP51 both available down to 0” lift. Cool.

Right.

Honestly it's a very common misconception that high-end suspension upgrades alway mean huge lifts.
It's just that most folks who upgrade their truck suspension also tend to add at least some lift...and still others (like the typical "bro trucks) add monstetrously-ridiculous lifts that serve no function purpose other than being large!
So... in a world flooded with bro trucks...your misconceptions were totally understandable! :)

Hello,

Digging around in my favorite parts number program I noticed that on North American 200s there are two OE part numbers available for each shock.. one is standard, and another is "MEXICO SPEC." A preliminary search through my local toyota parts source suggests they are available too.

Thanks for any info.
Hey bloc...I've seen both pn's as alternatives to the oem US parts on couple of websites...when I put 2 of each in my cart both websites substitute the US oem parts in the cart.

Parts managers at my local Toyota and Toyota/Lexus dealers are unable to order with their system.

Have you found a source that will actually accept an order for the Mexico shocks?

Thank you and have a good Easter.

Last edited:
Hey bloc...I've seen both pn's as alternatives to the oem US parts on couple of websites...when I put 2 of each in my cart both websites substitute the US oem parts in the cart.

Parts managers at my local Toyota and Toyota/Lexus dealers are unable to order with there system.

Have you found a source that will actually accept an order for the Mexico shocks?

Thank you and have a good Easter.

I haven’t actually tried to order them yet, no.

Kinda makes the whole question moot anyway, if we can’t get our hands on them.

I was just in Costa Rica for a week - we had a LC Prado diesel. The Prado had 90k (kilometers) on it and during the trip we drove more than 200 miles on very rough dirt roads. I abused that truck and was truly amazed at how tight it was and that the suspension was really very good. Bypass shock good...of course not...but very good for a stock vehicle in a number of conditions. It really made me think about the suspension - the Prado did well when it was just me or when we had three little kids, my wife and I + all our gear. I don't feel like the LC with stock suspension was nearly as good as this one was. Maybe it had a different spec shock? I am sure that it was nothing other than the stock suspension.

I do like my upgraded suspension in the LC - wish I could give it the workout that I did to that Prado! Also, we did everything, very hot dusty terrible roads and some pretty decent river crossings, the Prado never skipped a beat.

Maybe you should continue your research, would be interesting to see what the Mexico spec means!

You can see if some of the fine Mud members like @beno , @cruiseroutfit , @bjowett (and I’m probably forgetting others ) can source Mexican spec parts or contact a dealership in Mexico and have them ship to you directly...

Last edited:
I’m sure I can track them down but would like to see if there are substantial differences before spending the money..

Though I guess if someone had a shock dyno (at least I think that’s a thing) we could figure this out through testing..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom