Metro area - Wanna do hoodrat things with ma friends (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MongooseGA

Learns things the hard way
SILVER Star
Threads
Hey all,

My name is G.A. I live in Kennesaw/ Work in ATL and have been a 100 owner for a little over a year. The story for those interested is here: Meet Gloria. But then also, meet Gira . I grew up with a pretty well built Jeep TJ, got the bug for wheeling and have been trying to build my own version of the hobby for a while.

Anyway I've recently bought a 2000 LC. The truck is at GAS in Woodstock now for some maintenance items and other goodies. I'd love to get to meet you all around the area. I'm up for mutually beneficial wrenching days, trail rides, s*** talk, etc. I have friends, but they all drive appliance cars and that's lame.

I'll be building my rig up slowly over the next year or so, with a hope to be at HIH next year with it. In the interim, I'm game for trips to N GA, TN, AL... Probably anywhere accessible within a weekend trip from the Metro area. For the time being, light to moderate trails and fire roads will likely be what the 100 can do safely.

See ya around!

View media item 74688View media item 74687

Hey G.A I am down man! I am also looking for some new 100 friends in Atlanta. Glad Patrick did you right at GAS. I am down for some trail rides, s*** talk and also wrenching days.

Hey man! Let's do it!

Patrick's still got my LC for now. I went by Friday and this morning to put a little heat on to have it done by tomorrow, since I'm planning to drive the truck to WV on Thursday. Fingers crossed everything gets done. I think they're just buttoning up the engine bay and finishing the bearings. His tech, Mr. Bill, did say that he never wants to do another set of headers on these trucks again!

That is great. I hope you get it back tomorrow. Sounds good! Maybe when you get back we can meet up for a beer and talk some LCs!

Definitely up for 100 wheeling or some wrenching. Planning to add sliders. Only problem is I work on Saturdays, which limits weekend options. Let me know if you're doing something on Sunday.

I'll be base lining fluids on Sunday. Likely going to pull the trigger on a lift kit this week but I'm in the final stages of narrowing down what it will be. If anyone's up for wrenching in a few weeks when it gets here, I'll provide pizza and beer!

I did get the truck back on Wednesday afternoon. It runs awesome, extremely smooth, but dammit are these shocks blown. I wouldn't be surprised if they're original. They're definitely OEM. The headers didn't provide quite the extra oomph I was hoping for, but I did average a little over 16MPG on my 8 hour road trip each way this weekend. The best I ever did in my LX was 15.4. So, maybe something there. Too bad it cost $2K to net an extra 1/2MPG...

I would be down for some wrenching in the next few weeks. I also found Camino70 on here who lives about 10 minutes from me. There are a few things I need to work on the LX. Glad to see you got the LC before your trip and I am glad things worked out with Patrick at GAS.

Hey, I’m in the city and also will be looking to ride out with some folks. Stock at the moment and will probably get a lift kit as well. We should have a lift kit install party. MongooseGA, what are you looking at as far as kits? I tried looking into RD but it’s seems they’re out of stock.

I ended up getting the Tough Dog with the big 53mm front shocks and rear adjustable 45mm. The latter are back ordered, Jason says about 3 weeks turn around time. I also ordered the extended sway links f/r and the diff drop at the same time.

I'm definitely up for a wrenching party. I've got an A/C'd garage with all the tools and a big flat driveway. Might end up having to do it all outside because I don't think the girl is going to fit back into the garage afterwards :bang: I've not installed a lift before but have rebuilt suspensions in the past. The only part that would be really 'new' will be the diff drop. Even then, I've replaced diff mounts and bushings. I'm very excited to get it going.

I am located in Acworth/ Kennesaw, by the way.

Hey guys,

I'm tentatively planning to do my suspension install the 2nd weekend of October, the 12/13/14 I think. I imagine it will take at least all of one day and not unlikely a portion of the second. Anyone who cares to is welcome to join in, spectate, hand tools or heckle from above. I can provide food and drink. My house won't have much to keep kids occupied so it might make for antsy little ones. The dog is friendly but beyond the point of playing for a long time. If interested, shoot me a PM and I can give the address. I'll have all tools needed except maybe special bushing pullers. I can probably rent those. Plan is to install in the AC'd garage and cross my fingers it'll make it back out again. An 8' 2x4 may be recruited to hold the door open as high as possible.

I'll be doing the following in roughly the following order (hopefully, open to suggestion): Rear shocks, rear springs, airbag install, rear sway bar link, diff drop, front UCA swap, front LCA bushings, front shocks, torsion bar swap, front sway bar links. I think that's it. My plan is to cut the holes in the rear cargo area to access the top shock nut because I'm not messing with it from the side. The only thing that might be a challenge would be the LCA bushings.

Laptop, tablet, and phone will be on hand for DIY thread and video references. I can probably complete all of the labor myself but it's always so much more fun to have some extra hands or even other people around who are familiar with the work. Very excited to be getting it going. Planning to book an appointment for tires mount/balance and alignment the following day or two. Once done, I'm ready for some trails!!!

Awesome. I should be down for this. Still gotta keep an eye on my schedule as we get closer to the date. I’m also trying to piece my kit together. I too went with Tough Dog. 41/45 with a diff drop. Looking at your list I’m now starting to think I should get f/r sway bar links and uca’s. What UCA did you go with? My td should be here next week. So if I order the other stuff I should be good in a couple of weeks.

I went with SPC UCAs. They should be here within a week.

When did you order? The 45mm rears are what I'm waiting the 2 extra weeks for. If you install before mine let me know and I'll try to help as well. Are you going with the hole-cutting method or knuckle busting method for the rear shocks?

I wanted the extended links to take advantage of the extra travel the new suspension should allow. I figured if I'm paying for the lift, I may as well get the most of it. I may also see if Jason can get a set of the rear LCA skids out to me in the same order. They were always a weak point on my LX.

I ordered it a couple of weeks ago. I was hoping to avoid cutting through the back. Or at least attempt to do without it. I’ve watched a few vids and think I can do it.

I’ll see how things look next week but I’m not in a rush. Would like to grab a set of wheels and tires before the lift goes in.

I am game! I normally cut a few yards on the side on the weekends but I can always do those on Sunday. Would love to come and hang out and help out. Not the best wrencher but will help out as much as I can and learn a few things about these 100 series.

I ordered it a couple of weeks ago. I was hoping to avoid cutting through the back. Or at least attempt to do without it. I’ve watched a few vids and think I can do it.

I’ll see how things look next week but I’m not in a rush. Would like to grab a set of wheels and tires before the lift goes in.

Sweet, you'll be getting a look at the good first then. I'll look into some more videos of removing that rear shocks but to me it looked like more of a hassle than I wanted to deal with. Maybe not the case.

I am game! I normally cut a few yards on the side on the weekends but I can always do those on Sunday. Would love to come and hang out and help out. Not the best wrencher but will help out as much as I can and learn a few things about these 100 series.

Awesome man, come on by! BTW I caught your 4R at GAS the other day. Those ball joints though!!

Sweet, you'll be getting a look at the good first then. I'll look into some more videos of removing that rear shocks but to me it looked like more of a hassle than I wanted to deal with. Maybe not the case.

Awesome man, come on by! BTW I caught your 4R at GAS the other day. Those ball joints though!!

I will pm you to get the address. Ha yeah man it needed quite a bit of maintenance. It need new UCA's, new calipers, rotors, pad for the front and the rear passenger side and also new wheel bearing and seal. I shouldn't have put off that for as long as I did. Did you see the white lifted LC sitting out back? What day did you go?

I just went by the day before last. I saw a white LC there but I didn't notice it was lifted. I just dropped by for a minute though so didn't spend much time looking around it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom