metric to standard thread conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pbgbottle

Forum Lifer
Threads
hey ! i read somewhere that the metric threads that bolt the hardtop on, are very close to .standard thread . i read that you can just take the tap and run it through the body bolt .and cut new threads (no drilling first). . i am curious about this .because i would like to swithc to stainless bolts . and the metric ones are hard to find (in Canada.) but there is a ton of options when it comes to SAE bolts at the local hardware or marine store. any info would be great . i know this is probably a silly idea . but i heard someone mention it once ??

Just look at a decimal equivant chart and find out what is the closest larger size.

http://www.pellmellsupply.com/5.htm

Probably use a 1/4-20 or 1/4-28.

I would look harder for a source for metric SST hardware. I bet they're right under your nose. I had to look a while to find my local source and it's in the ghetto, a mom and pop affectionately called 'THE NUT HOUSE'. . Had a place called MACBOLT but they apparently were run by an accountant or MBA 'cause they switched to minimum orders of $50. Kinda like telling you to FO and go elsewhere with your stupid little $10 orders. Don't be discouraged if you find this also. I have no experience with but have heard good things about FASTENAL.

Another option is to buy OE Toyota metric hardware. Man, it's nice with it's own captured washer. Try a #90080-11262 which is a M6X1.0X15mm long with a lock washer, fender washer and it's all galvanized= no rust.

Having both metric and SAE fasterns on a modified 30 year old vehicle is inevitable but I try to stay metric where I can. Kinda sucks having to grab both sets of tools everytime you touch it.

If you want to go mail order, McMaster-Carr has a good selection. Totally Stainless has a lot of stuff too; I have their catalog but have never ordered anything from them. I'm pretty sure none of these are JIS (ie. 12mm head on 8mm bolt) but at least it's metric.

I used a 5/16"-18 tap on mine when I put the hardtop back on. About all it did was slightly cut the last couple of threads. Worked good.

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom