1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

metric to standard thread conversion

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by pbgbottle, Aug 9, 2005.

1. pbgbottle

pbgbottle Forum Lifer

Media:
    Albums:
    hey ! i read somewhere that the metric threads that bolt the hardtop on, are very close to .standard thread . i read that you can just take the tap and run it through the body bolt .and cut new threads (no drilling first). . i am curious about this .because i would like to swithc to stainless bolts . and the metric ones are hard to find (in Canada.) but there is a ton of options when it comes to SAE bolts at the local hardware or marine store. any info would be great . i know this is probably a silly idea . but i heard someone mention it once ??

2. yotanut

yotanut

3. dgangle

dgangle total rice SILVER Star

Just look at a decimal equivant chart and find out what is the closest larger size.

http://www.pellmellsupply.com/5.htm

Probably use a 1/4-20 or 1/4-28.

I would look harder for a source for metric SST hardware. I bet they're right under your nose. I had to look a while to find my local source and it's in the ghetto, a mom and pop affectionately called 'THE NUT HOUSE'. . Had a place called MACBOLT but they apparently were run by an accountant or MBA 'cause they switched to minimum orders of $50. Kinda like telling you to FO and go elsewhere with your stupid little $10 orders. Don't be discouraged if you find this also. I have no experience with but have heard good things about FASTENAL.

Another option is to buy OE Toyota metric hardware. Man, it's nice with it's own captured washer. Try a #90080-11262 which is a M6X1.0X15mm long with a lock washer, fender washer and it's all galvanized= no rust.

Having both metric and SAE fasterns on a modified 30 year old vehicle is inevitable but I try to stay metric where I can. Kinda sucks having to grab both sets of tools everytime you touch it.

4. 2mbb

2mbb SILVER Star

If you want to go mail order, McMaster-Carr has a good selection. Totally Stainless has a lot of stuff too; I have their catalog but have never ordered anything from them. I'm pretty sure none of these are JIS (ie. 12mm head on 8mm bolt) but at least it's metric.

5. cheap 40

cheap 40

I used a 5/16"-18 tap on mine when I put the hardtop back on. About all it did was slightly cut the last couple of threads. Worked good.

Tony