MetalTech FJ60 rollcage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is Metal Tech still making these? I just checked their website and did Not see them...

I think $800 was word of mouth and there wasn’t ever an officially announced price.. I could MAYBE break even at $800 if I was copying that design for a customer
Either way Metal Tech is a pretty reputable company, I’m sure that’s all .120 wall Dom.

I think the design would be pretty good once door bars and triangulation behind the front seats was added. Of course this kills day-to day functionality.

Yeah an internal cage is entirely a pain in the ass on a day to day basis for a daily. I know because I have one. It is cool though 🤷‍♂️

8A73E26E-3C27-4910-8441-67D881C3258A.jpeg

Great cage worth every penny .... would pay double for it today... I have the beta tester spent a lot of time on it lid... I was told the dash bend was to hard to make it retail kit

View attachment 2140674

Great cage worth every penny .... would pay double for it today... I have the beta tester spent a lot of time on it lid... I was told the dash bend was to hard to make it retail kit
Can you post some side pics too?

1389BFD5-B947-4766-B48C-A4CDBC4D6E28.jpeg

It would be far easier to go through the vinyl dash, behind the metal lower dash. The side mirror vent HVAC piping is in the way, but the rest is pretty easy to work around, wiring and whatnot.

Some day when I get to a cage in my truck, I think that's what I'm going to do.

It would be far easier to go through the vinyl dash, behind the metal lower dash. The side mirror vent HVAC piping is in the way, but the rest is pretty easy to work around, wiring and whatnot.

Was wondering what they were calling dash bar. A piller to the floor?

Was wondering what they were calling dash bar. A piller to the floor?

I'm assuming that's what they meant. I don't see a bar that goes across the dash in the two pics @kling-on posted.

That orange truck was amazing.

I'm assuming that's what they meant. I don't see a bar that goes across the dash in the two pics @kling-on posted.

That orange truck was amazing.
Yea dash bar to me is across the dash or what makes a dash in mud trucks for gauges and stuff.
I would definitely beat the brakes off that rig.

Have you seen this?

I have a customer asking for a roll cage after they saw this thread

Perhaps they were talking about the "dash bend" on the A pillar leg of the cage. Biggest problem I have read about with cages in vehicles used as drivers as well is banging your head on a bar. They generally also cause issue with entrance and exit from the vehicle if door bars are used. Belt bars create an obstacle between driver & passenger cabin and rear cabin. The scariest to me are the cages that stop at the floor or wheel well.

any roll cage that is properly designed and then built with top quality material n workmanship would be worth the $s involved. design for structure is a given but often the fitment seems to lack, i.e. headroom. door bars, belt bars though an inconvenience at times, are what i believe an integral part of structure. i may be wrong, but i think most roll cage kits are a compromise between total proper fitment and ease/cost of manufacturing

Have you seen this?

I have a customer asking for a roll cage after they saw this thread

Not on a 60, but I have seen it done on other vehicles. Finnegan's c10 project comes to mind.

Through the dash is how it is typically done on pretty much any car where the dash is being retained - bending around the dash like that is a giant buckle point and kinda completely dead eating the purpose of even having a tube there. I’m sure it’s not useless, but a huge missed opportunity to really brace up the A-pillar which is the biggest weakness in the 60 in terms of preexisting rollover protection. It should be going through the dash, run upwards parallel to the A-pillar and then tied together the whole way with sheetmetal.

maybe @FL cruiser can post some interior pics of his 60 cage which is through the dash. It looks good when done properly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom