Metallic grinding noise after buying new tires. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All,

I just purchased new shoes for my cruiser, went from 265/70/16 to 285/75/16's. Now it sounds like I'm getting a metallic grinding noise coming from my rear passenger side, never had this issue before with the smaller tires.

There's no rubbing and I have a 2.5 lift from OME installed.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

new wheels or just rubber?

They probably didn't get your rear discs aligned properly when tightening the wheels and now your parking brake is dragging. Or the used the parking brake and it won't release.

They probably didn't get your rear discs aligned properly when tightening the wheels and now your parking brake is dragging. Or the used the parking brake and it won't release.

That's what it sounds like to me. Didn't even think of this, I was already starting to grumble about having to do the hubs. :) Thank you!

I'll pull the wheel and align the discs, and put the wheels back on.

--skip

When removing the wheels, did it drop onto the backing plate causing the backing plate to rub the brake disk?

I had my tires done at the local Discount Tire, from what I could see they did it right, minus this issue.

I checked the backing plate and inner side of the wheel and didn't see any wear or shininess that would indicate rubbing.

Just in case today I pulled the wheel and rotor off to see if the parking brake pads were rubbing. It sounded like it may have been rubbing a little so I backed off some of the pressure with the adjustment wheel, put everything back together and will know in the morning if that was it. While I was in there I did notice that the paring brake bellcrank was seized/corroded/rusted to the link so that will need to be replaced and rebuilt. I already checked the @Poser post and ordered the parts needed for it. So that is in my near future now too, along with about a dozen other "projects" for my 80.

Owning one of these trucks is always an adventure. :)

--skip

If you took the time to pull the tire, did you try rotating the wheels when they were lifted to be able to pinpoint noise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom