Metal Tech DIY Sliders... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As some of you know I have a welder and tube bender at home. I put together all the tube work that went into my Taco and have started a front bumper project for the 80. In building my sliders I've ran into a few problems, mostly how to attach the sliders to the frame rail. I have spend over $200 on U bolts that didn't fit.

Today I was talking with Mark at Metal Tech. He had been playing around with the idea of selling a DIY kit for those of us with basic metal skills but limited access to U bolt benders and water jets. He told me that he was getting two or three requests a month for U bolts...I pushed him over the edge and have one of his new kits on it's way. The kit includes U bolts and mounting pieces that attach to the frame. I am thinking this will be a :banana::banana::banana: job. Look for it in the vendor section of Mud soon.

I have three sets of sliders in different phases of assembly. Once I get the kit I will post up some pix and let you know what I think.

I may be ready for Moab in time...ya right!:censor:

As some of you know I have a welder and tube bender at home. I put together all the tube work that went into my Taco and have started a front bumper project for the 80. In building my sliders I've ran into a few problems, mostly how to attach the sliders to the frame rail. I have spend over $200 on U bolts that didn't fit.

Today I was talking with Mark at Metal Tech. He had been playing around with the idea of selling a DIY kit for those of us with basic metal skills but limited access to U bolt benders and water jets. He told me that he was getting two or three requests a month for U bolts...I pushed him over the edge and have one of his new kits on it's way. The kit includes U bolts and mounting pieces that attach to the frame. I am thinking this will be a :banana::banana::banana: job. Look for it in the vendor section of Mud soon.

I have three sets of sliders in different phases of assembly. Once I get the kit I will post up some pix and let you know what I think.

I may be ready for Moab in time...ya right!:censor:

:doh:

Try Spectrac at Mesa Drive & Baseline. They make u-bolts to order. They made mine while I waited...Great service!

Try Spectrac at Mesa Drive & Baseline. They make u-bolts to order. They made mine while I waited...Great service!

I checked with them...they couldn't do the width I was looking for...

Why not do the plates and bolts thing like the SROR type?

Regular bolts would seem a lot easier than trying to find the right width and length for some U-bolt setup.

Why not do the plates and bolts thing like the SROR type?

Regular bolts would seem a lot easier than trying to find the right width and length for some U-bolt setup.

I'll pay the money not to mess with bolts around the gas tank...big pain in the a$$

How about a backing plate on the inside the frame, but tack the nuts in place on the plate. :idea:

How about a backing plate on the inside the frame, but tack the nuts in place on the plate. :idea:

I thought about that too...I'm sure the time savings on the kit will be worth the $$$ I spent.

Anyone else try these? Any feedback?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom