Metal tech bumpers scratch and dent. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just a heads up, metal tech has a couple of bumpers listed in their scratch and dent section on sale for 899. It's their ghost Rider bumper for 200 series landcruisers, don't know if they fit the LX ( which I have). Looks like a good deal.

Thanks. Looking hard at the hooped one. I’m down at metaltech in March for some other stuff anyway. Looks like it’s been on a truck for a year or so. Some cleanup required but mostly clean.

Pretty sure that’s the bumper that was on my truck for about four months. No impacts and no winch pulls. It’s pretty virgin except for weathering. I would have definitely kept it but MT made a few changes in where the fairlead and winch mounts (fairlead is now flat). It’s a fantastic deal, I’d grab it before someone else does.

That bumper at expo. You can also see how low the rear was sitting with the IVD progressive rear springs.

186DA322-A32D-40A9-9E24-CD46FE38A183.jpeg

FF0AA1AB-694F-4CBB-89AF-4D8B82D01D9D.jpeg

Last edited:
Pretty sure that’s the bumper that was on my truck for about four months. No impacts and no winch pulls. It’s pretty virgin except for weathering. I would have definitely kept it but MT made a few changes in where the fairlead and winch mounts (fairlead is now flat). It’s a fantastic deal, I’d grab it before someone else does.

That bumper at expo. You can also see how low the rear was sitting with the IVD progressive rear springs.

View attachment 2218449

View attachment 2218450
Thanks for the beta. Yeah I also prefer the new fairlead location. It’s not been clear to me how the bumper interacts with the cover, is the cover cut long and sits behind the bumper? I have an Lx570 and fear this may be a pretty big issue as far as appearance goes.

Yeah, the plastic bumper tucks completely behind the metal shell. You could have a five year old cut it and it would still look okay.

A few thoughts on the fairlead placement:

I don't disagree that a flat fairlead is probably the best option. However, in real-world pulls, it's rare that where you're stuck will put the fairlead perpendicular to the pull in both axes. Often you'll be up on an obstacle and pulling at an angle below the longitudinal axis of the truck anyway. Less common is it that you'll be nose down in a recovery.. Or you'll be pulling off to the side. Only if you're mired will you have a chance at pulling straight - and IH8MUD so I avoid wherever possible. The times that I've pulled with the current bumper config I've noticed that the rope is always in contact with the fairlead to some degree.

But I'm more of an overland touring style so for me the winch is for the rare recovery of myself or someone I'm with. I pull maybe 4-6 times per season. 3 of those will be to clear logs. One or two will be an easy recovery. And only one would be what I consider a hard pull. For those few pulls, I'm not highly concerned about damage to the rope. Though if you ask someone like Bill Burke he'll tell you to get rollers even with a synthetic line for the least impact tot he rope. Pinching synthetic line in the corner of the rollers is unlikely.

@OneManAsset thanks for posting the ad.

Scored the prototype no-hoop bumper.

Saw the original at overland expo a couple years ago. Was very impressed with it then, and super excited to be getting it for my truck now!

No problem, if I wasn't in the middle of building a house then I would've been all over it. I'm just glad someone on the forum was able to score this great deal.

Thanks. Looking hard at the hooped one. I’m down at metaltech in March for some other stuff anyway. Looks like it’s been on a truck for a year or so. Some cleanup required but mostly clean.
What are you having done in March?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom