Metal switch under dash? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, this is definitely a newbie question so bring on the :flipoff2:, but I couldn't find the answer in either the FAQ or search.

Terms I searched -

metal switch
switch under dash
"switch" in title and surfed through pages of results

So yah, there is like a metal switch near the left foot rest, under the dash. I haven't touched it (despite the urgggeee), and am trying to figure out what it does :hmm:

Do you have an aftermarket alarm?
It might be the valet switch for an aftermarket alarm. I remember on my Integra, the valet switch was by the left kick panel.

Good question -- i don't believe i do. There is a red light that is constantly on which is located on the dash, but ive seen that on other 80s. I am doing some searching for dash configurations now to see if thats normal

Holy Shi$! DONT TOUCH THAT! It's the scuttle activation switch:eek:

Just kidding. What bbb18c1 said. :flipoff2:

Holy Shi$! DONT TOUCH THAT! It's the scuttle activation switch:eek:

Just kidding. What bbb18c1 said. :flipoff2:

loool :doh: got me for a second. anyways, i guess i will just mess with it. no alarms have gone off on me yet and i've had the car 2 weeks now...though i did get keyed in that same time :(

Pictures help solve these kinds of puzzles.

Dan.

Ok, not my finest photographic hour - this is flashlight + camera phone in the dark

photo-57.jpg

That is definitely not OEM. I would guess that someone installed either a "valet" switch or a "kill" switch. I would see if you can trace where the wiring goes to.

Cheers.

- Mark

That is definitely not OEM. I would guess that someone installed either a "valet" switch or a "kill" switch. I would see if you can trace where the wiring goes to.

Cheers.

- Mark

Yah, good plan. Next I need to decide if its worth removing.

What is a "kill" switch if I may?

"A kill switch (also called an e-stop) is a security measure used to shut off a device in an emergency situation in which it cannot be shut down in the usual manner."

Thanks for the input guys, I will investigate this weekend

UC -

There are usually two ways to wire a "kill" switch. One is to wire it to the fuel pump, that way it is a delayed "kill", in other words the car can be driven a short period before it quits. The second most common way is wiring it to the ignition, which will not let the car start and/or if switched...will immediately "kill" the car.

I think the best option is actually...both...and the reason being is for two purposes in two different situations.

One switch as an ignition kill, this is a great theft deterrent, etc. Someone who breaks into your car will have a very difficult time trying to start it. Most auto thiefs are not the guys from the movie...delicately hot wiring a car and all that fun stuff. Most just jam a special tool made from 2 screw drivers into your ignition and "break it" to start it. Even though you may have some damage to your car...your car is not going anywhere.

I think also ideally you should have one wired to the fuel pump. That way if say some nefarious individual was to carjack you...you could switch that sucker on your way out of the car...and a little bit down the road...said nefarious character is suddenly faced with a car that dies and won't start again. This puts a little distance between you and the nefarious character so he/she doesn't come back and pistol whip you until you tell him/her what is wrong with the car. Anyway, just my thoughts.

- Mark

Great comments mark. I will do my best to figure out the identity of the switch and come back here with results

edit - seems we have similar tastes in cars mark! I have an '89 735i, and my step-dad has a Dinan'd out '85 635CSi with 20k miles :eek:

I have a similar switch that i installed on mine, Its to turn on/off my electric start module in my case. just another possibility.

Its a emergency seat ejection switch i have one too. lol probably kill switch or bypass for alarm just use it and see what it does.

probably a switch for your alarm to disconect it ( will be a solid red light at the alarm let ) very usefull when you let your cruiser in the carwash or garage ..

You don't know where the wiring goes?

I know it goes into a huge bird's nest of wires in the DS kick panel. I assume it was for the alarm that has not worked since I bought the truck, but I haven't worried about it enough to pull everything out and sort it out. The keyless entry works and I don't really care about the alarm itself, it was more of a pain than anything with my last 80.

I know it goes into a huge bird's nest of wires in the DS kick panel. I assume it was for the alarm that has not worked since I bought the truck, but I haven't worried about it enough to pull everything out and sort it out. The keyless entry works and I don't really care about the alarm itself, it was more of a pain than anything with my last 80.

You sound like me trying to figure out the 1997-era hands-free Nokia cellphone system my rig came with. What a cluster.

Truth be told I actually pulled all the mess of wiring out once to try and determine what was making a clicking sound when I put the truck in gear. There was a basketball sized mess of wires stuffed in the kick panel and under the steering wheel. about half of it wasn't connected to anything, so I took it all out. the rest was obviously part of an aftermarket alarm that I seriously considered pulling out and just using the key to get in and out. That same day I pulled out all of the disconnected wires under the steering wheel, the blown factory subwoofer and amp, two different sets of trailer wiring, and two toasted wires running from the battery to the cabin(also not connected to anything). I had a heavy grocery bag full of wires and connectors when I was finished and the clicking was gone(trailer wiring I suspect). The little metal switch was still connected to the mess of wires that is still in the kick panel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom