Metal Roof Top Tents in Lightning Country (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am considering buying a metal roof top tent for my 80. I also live on the Mogollon Plateau in northern Arizona; almost daily summer lightning, sometimes severe, and surprisingly unpredictable in its proximity to storm centers and what it'll actually strike (not just the tallest tree around).

So, while I'm very attracted to the stoutness and longevity of a metal tent, I also worry that it's a human toaster oven in the waiting.

Does anyone have any serious write-ups of this topic, specific expertise, or first-hand experience?

Thanks in advance.

Lightning.jpg

Any difference to sleeping in the truck that has a metal roof?
Back in Highschool my Camry was struck by lightning while parked.

I can see the additional height may be a concern if you're in an open area. Maybe set up a lightning rod away from the vehicle in such cases?

G'Day Fella's,

Great question (and photo) TWILLY.

I'm in the process of designing my own Aluminium RTT, so I'm all ears!
I just had a thought, that maybe if you ran a substantial Earth wire (Car Battery lead size), between the two halves of the metal RTT and then down to the ground (clamp/bolt it onto a tent peg, driven into the ground)?
Maybe (famous last words), that will do the job?

Look forward to others idea's on this.

D'oh!
Homer

I was camping at 13,700 ft in a lightning storm when my wife asked the same question. I have a standard RTT with aluminum frame.
I wish I could have given her the a definite answer, but she wouldn't go for Land Cruiser Phil's answer though. Great reply though.

You could ground your RTT to the vehicle, in which case if you're hit, you'll be better off than in a ground tent with an aluminum frame (i.e. most of them). The top of your RTT will still be taller than a ground tent, but 6 feet of difference is way less than the randomness in the height of things struck by lightning in a given area. It just *tends* to strike the highest thing in an area, and strikes mountains more than valleys, but that can mean hitting the tallest blade of grass in a 100-foot section of field a quarter mile from a forest full of huge trees. I wouldn't worry too much about it, especially with the RTT grounded.

If you would hear it coming, then you could go into the car (good to have a small emergency spot to sleep inside)
But if you can't hear it coming as you describe, and when it happens so often, then I would not go for a metal roof.

Any difference to sleeping in the truck that has a metal roof?
Back in Highschool my Camry was struck by lightning while parked.

Well the car acts as a Faraday cage. I don't think the rooftop tent will function as such a cage.

Never heard of the faraday cage ?
If you don't touch the car or any metal part , while the lighting hits the car or metal tent , you are in the safest place .
The car will act as a faraday cage , pushing the lines of high tension and also magnetism all round .
The passenger will be safe .

Bye Renago

If your stuck in a lightning storm, there is no material or substance that is going to put you in a better prodicent. Lighting has too much potential. Just think about the amount of power it took to make all that "air" a conductive material.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom