Metal repair. What is the best method to fix this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an old chrome strip from an early FJ40 hood. I straightened it up pretty good from what it looked like when I got it, but I an wondering how to fix the nose without destroying the finish? From what these babies go for on Ebay, they are worth saving ;p

Last edited:
Thanks for the offer. This is just my spare. I have a good one on my crusier now, but since my son rolled our cuiser 3 years ago, I keep spare hoods and chrome strips. This one I got for free. I had it out today and thought I would just list about. That was great of you to offer to sell me yours. Thanks again.

Since that's some light guage chromed steel, I would give a little heat to the inside of where the bent portion is. Then take a socket, on an extension, & pound it to where the steel will start to widen. You'll need a few different sizes here. Or, lay the bent area on a flat surface, heat again, & gently tap the creased area till it's somewhat straight, then give it the socket treatment again.

A little Hammer & dolley work would fix that, if you don't have a body hammer use a small smooth faced hammer; for a dolley, a smooth piece of thick steel will work fine. As LC Hamma suggested, a LITTLE heat to the back side probably wouldn't hurt either. Place the dolley on the inside of the trim piece and push against the pushed in part, GENTLY tap with the hammer all around the pushed in spot on the outside of the trim piece. Take your time and you should be able to get the trim piece pretty straight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom