Metal in the pan - 3b (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks,

Picked up a 81bj60 couple months ago. Thanks to an overzealous desire to find my dream car, it came with a host of rust issues. On the brightside the engine had a full rebuild about 60k km ago...Recently however I've heard a bit of a knocking...more a dull rhythmic thumping actually. It inspired some curiosity and I decided to do some poking....

Upon cutting open my oil filter and scouring the pan I found these little fellers(pic 1 ). They were ferrous, but I didn't take a torch to them, and have since lost the bits.

Just dropped the pan today to look at the main and con bearings...they all check out...except there is some damage to the internals of the oil pan (Pic 2). Again main and con bearings look ok, but I didn't plastiguage them. It looks like the metal shavings could be from the pan itself...but what could muck up the pan like?

Also when I adjusted the valves a few weeks ago, I noticed that the opening around pushrod 2 is a bit chewed up. (Pic 3). All the others look normal.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

IMG_20200501_172427.jpg

IMG_20200708_145800.jpg

IMG_20200707_143146.jpg

IMG_20200707_143146.jpg

I wouldnt have thought the metal on an oil pan would shear off like that. It looks like shavings to me.
A 30-40 year old engine is bound to have picked up some battle scars.
The shavings could be from a poorly cleaned block during the rebuild.
But you have those odd noises.
My guess is the thrust bearings? Can you see any longitudinal movement in the crankshaft?

I wouldnt have thought the metal on an oil pan would shear off like that. It looks like shavings to me.
A 30-40 year old engine is bound to have picked up some battle scars.
The shavings could be from a poorly cleaned block during the rebuild.
But you have those odd noises.
My guess is the thrust bearings? Can you see any longitudinal movement in the crankshaft?

Thanks for the tip. I tried to get some wiggle out of the crankshaft but nothing noticable, a bit hard to test though. I also took a closer look at the oil pan today, and it looks like the shavings are left over from a repair job to the pan itself. A few bits of wire from the oil strainer also seem to have broken off, so the metal is now accounted for. :banana:

If not noise from the internals....could this thumping/thudding be the exhaust?

Noises are hard to define on forums, but exhausts on diesels often vibrate and come loose. But they are also easy to isolate the noise from the engine. Try getting under there when its cold and give it a good shake.

For crankshaft float, you usually get a big screwdriver or suitable lever and see how much movement you can get

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom