Metal heater bypass pipe? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Every time I look at my engine bay I learn something new about my '74 FJ40 with an 1.5F engine. Granted, I'm a complete amateur when it comes to cars/trucks.

The heater never worked and wasn't even connected when I got it, so I removed the blower and closed it off until I figured out how to rebuild it. I just noticed a metal (?brass) heater pipe that was caked with old oil before I cleaned it off and realized what it actually looks like. I saw one or two photos of this in the internet about where it's supposed to go, but it doesn't even fit on the side cover because of the large cap aftermarket distributor and it's resting on top of the spark plug wires. Is there any use to this pipe until I place a heater back on? Can I just connect the heater bypass valve to the engine with a single hose?

I'm sure y'all will see many other things wrong with this engine bay I hope to address and go back to OEM at some point too, like the aftermarket chinese heater bypass valve that's leaking, the aftermarket distributor that's way too big, and the sideways carb.

E52C1129-651C-45D5-A884-C4EC0AC81407.jpeg

C98E550E-D563-456C-B33D-5D77FEF48523.jpeg

that is a custom pipe job, the OEM one looks nothing like that and is routed differently.
the heater hose would have been routed into where the duct tape is in the 1st pic to the heater and then to a shutoff valve and then to the rear driver side head.

This was the first thread I found with decent pics. Your setup is Kustom... with a K because it’s a whole lot of Crazy

Is that a Four Barrel Edelbrock mounted sideways on your 237? How does it work?

I’m not a big fan of Edelbrock on any Fj40... now that I’ve said that, I mounted the almost new Edelbrock 1406 I was given on my 350 in my 40. Sitting on an SP 2P manifold, it’s super quiet, smooth, and pulls from 400-450 rpm up. I’ve not wheeled it hard since I installed it... but it does work well.

I disagree regarding the heater pipe being custom. On my 1.5F I have he same pipe - mounted in the orientation as well.

Interesting... I'll keep it around just in case then. As far as the sideways edelbrock, I think it runs pretty good. Ultimately I want to go back to stock but I'll save that for a later date.

I disagree regarding the heater pipe being custom. On my 1.5F I have he same pipe - mounted in the orientation as well.

I seriously doubt Toyota ran a heater pipe at a angle across the spark plugs. Thought the pipe that bolted to the cover over the push rods was steel to avoid dissimilar metal. Copper and steel do not do well when in direct contact with other. Water heaters are a prime example, they use a dielectric connection between the steel tank and copper pipe.

I seriously doubt Toyota ran a heater pipe at a angle across the spark plugs. Thought the pipe that bolted to the cover over the push rods was steel to avoid dissimilar metal. Copper and steel do not do well when in direct contact with other. Water heaters are a prime example, they use a dielectric connection between the steel tank and copper pipe.

John, you didn't mention the cobbled up pipe connections in the lower hose? wonder what the T is in the hose?
would 74 have an aluminum water pump?

Yeah if I cleaned the bit closest to the hose I think it would look the same. How is it bolted to the side cover? Does it go between the cover and the gasket or on top of the cover? Also what dizzy do you have to make it fit?

I actually have one of these ODD Coolant Pipes in my collection ................

i always assumed it was off a First Generation Optional Oil Cooler 2F , like early as they went back ?

never thought it could be from a Pre- 12/75 F engine ?

i will dig hard into my microfiche and solve this mystery if it is indeed solvable .........

DSCN1523.JPG
DSCN1524.JPG

" Heavens To Mergatroid ! "

it is from a Pre- 12/74 F Engine .................:popcorn:

Optional TOYOTA Dealership Service Dept. Technician Installed Front and Optional Rear heater Kits ..................

call out
# 87100

Mystery Solved :cool:

1586850314489.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom