metal art!! Do you make art out of metal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently came across this site and had a good laugh at the artist modified hammers. I have always appreciated metal art. I now have a welder, and may just make some nice thinks for my wife, or family but do not know just what yet to do :)

Enjoy the site:
flamingsteel

I tend to dabble in metal art. I haven't done much besides people's names cut out of 1/4" plate. Although, when my puppy of 17 years passed last year, I made her 3 roses that would never wilt. I believe it was 18 gauge sheet, 6-layers deep, a few petals made out of 1/8" hammer forged on an anvil, and stems from 3/32 308l tig filler wire. I'll see if I can get a picture.

IMAG0801.jpg

I found a puppy picture of her, as well as how I wrote her name when I was 10. I made several copies enlarging it every time, and the ex made the outline for her more bubbly and 'puppy like'. I then plasma'd them out.

Roses were all done with a torch, I feel I have more of a connection with something using just a torch than I would with plasma/tig.

IMAG0807.jpg

I've also made a few bonsai tree's out of brass and stainless for my mother and her friends. Grind your welding table nice and clean, even to the point of wiping with acetone, then slowly melt brazing rod (with flux removed) about 18" above the table, and stitch together the random droplets. Warning, be prepared to get burned several hundred thousand million times from tiny splashes of brass. Well worth it though.

IMAG0417.jpg

Last edited:
That is soo cool :) I was thinking of making a rose to! BTW, I have been scrounging for metal. Guy emailed me saying "yes, you can pick up the 20 foot of aluminum railing." thats free aluminum for welding.

I make fireplaces out of truck brake drums...the legs are the old cam from the fj45. I cut the door with a 1 mm 4 inch grinder cut off disc.
002.jpg
003.jpg

Leftovers.......

Haus-11-2010-1-010.jpg

Old Ammo box

TrailOfen-006.jpg

I started making this last year and finally finished it early this year. Got the inspiration from Hawaii ...and maybe a bit from watching Finding Nemo/Dory with my daughter. lol

I did, however, smash the concrete base off of it 'cos it made it WAY too heavy. Bit of a pain trying to move it around alone.

Sea Turtle.jpeg

Propane tanks have a lining in them …. best to prep and weld in your hinges and flue/ chokes and set fire to the whole thing... that is light a fire inside and burn the outside too... then wire brush it and pot belly black paint it
The brake drums I used weigh about 30kgs each and have only ever had brake shoes inside... pressure wash them and grind the joins.... weld a long bar to it for a negative contact for the welder clamp. because they are cast I stack them together start a fire in them and then weld with general purpose stick rods while on fire

I made one out of propane tanks that looks like bender from Futurama....light my shiny metal arse...
The brake drums hold heat for a long time as they are about 20mm thick so very efficient once they heat up

IMG_1013.JPG
IMG_1126.JPG
IMG_1546.JPG
IMG_1547.JPG
IMG_1548.JPG
Living in the Rockies on an old tungsten mining claim I find all sorts of old mining artifacts.....made a dining room table out of an 1800's mill gear, narrow gage rail and water pipes found on our property. Hardest part was getting it up from the bottom of the property!

Sometimes.

Switch cover.

IMG_0380.JPG

San Xavier mission (57"L x 27"H x 1").

IMG_0323.JPG

Wind chime style lamp.
IMG_0324.JPG

USCG
IMG_0191.JPG

This was back lit with LED (96"L x 48"H)

IMG_0218.JPG

Five photo limit : (

everything I do with metal is art. I call it post-modernistic deconstructionist apocalyptic welds, cuts, and hole locations art. Everybody else calls it ugly as all hell. Idiotic art critics... I keep hoping it'll bring big bucks before I'm dead and not just afterward... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom