For Sale Merritt, BC Canada 1992 HDJ81 Pop-top Roof (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 80 Series
Mileage
Color
Beige
1992 1HDT~220,000km Center diff lock only

Engine
:
- Big end bearings done by PO
- Top end rebuild
  • Head resurfaced, head gasket, valve grind and new seals (all OEM parts). Work done by Jason from Cruisin.
- Injection pump full rebuild and injectors serviced by Jon Fox
- High flow Wink turbo (drop in turbo upgrade from the Netherlands). Also replaced all the turbo oil hose and the metal oil pipes. All OEM
- A/C compressor, drier, and expansion valve replaced (Denso)
- Flexplate and rear main oil seal replaced. I suspected a ticking noise was a cracked flex plate, but it wasn't. Replaced it anyway and replaced the rear main seal and seal holder as they were slightly leaking.
- Oil catch can
- Replaced brake master cylinder (Aisin)
- Power steering pump rebuilt (seals and bearing)
- Power steering reservoir replaced (common part to leak)
- Front mount intercooler
- 3 inch stainless exhaust
- Oil changes with Rotella T6 synthetic oil and OEM filters. Starts significantly better in the cold.
- Block heater
- Front mount transmission cooler PLUS a remote mount transmission cooler under the truck. Helps keep the transmission cool even on the hottest days
- Timing belt, water pump, cam seal, and new aluminum radiator. Also replaced all the rubber hoses connected around the water pump, as well as the metal turbo water pipe that likes to crack and leak.
-New Aisin fan clutch, with the oil drained and replaced with thicker oil, and adjusted to kick on at a lower temperature. Helps keep the engine a lot cooler in the summer, especially when climbing hills.
- All fluids were replaced/flushed shortly after I got the vehicle in 2017
- As far as I can tell right now, there are no leaking fluids from the engine or transmission. I've replaced or resealed everything that leaked, even if it was minor.

Drivetrain:
-10% Underdrive transfer case gears installed by Mekanix. It's equivalent to regearing from 4.10 to 4.56, it drives much better on the highway now and feels a lot better with the 315's.
-Complete front axle rebuild. (Seals, wipers, bearings, etc)
-Rear axle bearings repacked and new seals
-Axle breathers extended into the engine bay
-Tie rod ends replaced (555 brand)
-Front control arm bushings replaced (frame side with OEM, axle side with caster correction bushings)
-New OEM speedo cable. Old one was making noise when it got really cold
-Magnefine in-lline transmission fluid filter
-Cruise control doesn't work. I've tried 3 different speed sensors, so that's not the issue. I suspect it's the actuator.
-315/75/16 KO2's on OEM rims. Only a few years old, lots of life left. No chunks missing or slices, mostly highway miles. I also have a second set of winter tires that are not included, but are available: OEM rims with brand new 285/75/16 Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3 studded tires. Just put them on a few weeks ago. Tires alone were over $1700 installed. If you want the winter tires and rims, I'll sell them for $2200. Comes with a full size spare (same size and brand new, but it is a studded Cooper Discoverer)

Brakes:
-Front axle big brake upgrade. Late series rotors and 100 series pads
-Rear axle NA brake upgrade. New OEM backing plates that let you use rotors from NA cruisers, so you can easily source them locally from Lordco etc. Significantly cheaper than JDM rotors.
-E-brake rebuilt. New e-brake shoes to go with the new rotors. Holds tight but can be sticky and not fully release. I never use the e-brake out of habit, but it will hold you on normal hills if you need it (unlike most 80 series out there).
- All rubber brake lines replaced with new OEM

Body/Armour:
- Pop-top roof. Designed and installed by the previous owner, he was an engineer in the Navy. It has a sleeping platform that is properly tied into the pillars, so it can handle weight. It lifts up to give you a ton of head room inside the truck. It can sleep two normal sized people up there, but it's a little tight.
- ARB front bumper w/Smittybilt winch. In-cab winch controls added.
- Cruisin Offroad rear bumper with dual swingouts (tire carrier and dual fuel can holder+propane)
- Cruisin Offroad sliders
- Cruisin Offroad skid plates (t-case and transmission)
-Morimoto HID retrofit in Depo housings. Super bright, and they look OEM.
- Some rust on the bottom of the passenger side door. It's been on my list for a few years but haven't gotten around to it yet.
- I have a complete sub-tank setup (tank is not OEM, but built to fit), with overhead console gauge, switch, solenoids, and dual filler neck. Haven't installed it yet. I will sell this setup separately, but if I still have it I will include it with the truck if you want it.
- Rhino roof rack
- Cadillac Eldorodo horns (4 of them in the setup)
- Rear tailgate storage
- One of the skid plate bolts is loose and rattles at idle. It will be fixed prior to sale.

Interior:
-All rubber window runs replaced with new OEM. Front window belt moldings also replaced with OEM
-Front window motors and regulators replaced (Aisin)
-Rear window motors replaced
-Luxury liner pro installed over the entire floor. Significantly reduced road noise. Damplifier pro installed on the rear body panels, tailgate, and doors to reduce vibrations and noise.
-Custom built subwoofer box hidden behind the rear quarter panel (OEM location). Sounds awesome and takes up no cabin space. 10” pioneer subwoofer in the box, powered by a 4 channel amp (also powers the front speakers).
-Atoto A6 premium android head unit. Works mostly great. Sometimes takes a minute or two to boot up. You can install any app from the Play store, which I've used mostly for Spotify and backroad mapbooks through Locus Map.
-Rear drawer system built with 80/20 extruded aluminum. One large open drawer, one that holds a camp stove and pots/pans and a drawer for utensils and small items. 2nd row seats removed to fit the drawers, but I still have the seats and the drawer setup could easily be shortened if you wanted to put the seats back in.
-3rd house battery which runs all accessories from a Blue-Sea fuse panel, and is isolated (Blue-Sea SI-ACR) from the main batteries when the truck is off. Great for powering a fridge when camping. 2 30w solar panels on the roof keep it mostly topped off if you're just running a fridge. There's also a bypass switch that will connect that battery to the two starting batteries if you need a boost to start.
-Victron solar charge controller
-LED gauge cluster lights (Philips), replaced burned out D light
-Onboard air system (Viair)
-Autometer gauges: Boost, EGT, Trans Temp, Water Temp
-BH3 cupholder
- VHF radio and cell booster not included

Price drop: now $30,000 CAD firm. New Tundra I ordered in January is finally on the way, so this won't be my daily driver soon. If you're interested, PM me. Located in Merritt, BC Canada. If you're interested from the states, I can work with you to get it across the border. If you have questions about the truck, please keep them in this post.
37884740_10155385667826682_4526565586301353984_n.jpg
22496306_10154757375976682_5844810473711342201_o.jpg
108105106_10157039263266682_6259521709933860865_n.jpg
115996660_10157065373161682_4893655576624621626_n.jpg
241051128_10157841616091682_1188848405430421985_n.jpg

Last edited:
I looked at Alex's rig while I was in BC this March. My very general thoughts are, Alex has done A TON of work to make the truck mechanically sound, I think its an A+ mechanically. Cosmetically, it does have some rust issues as is typical for many Canadian rigs, its not rotted by any means but it has rust in the typical spots., I would say a- B. The pop-top is cool, its functional, but it does feel home-made. The pop-top is tough to rate, I've always thought a pop-top 80 would be awesome but I was a bit disappointed by the execution. Lastly, Alex is a straight up guy, he'll tell you what's good or bad and what he's done to sort the rig out.

If anybody is seriously interested I am happy to provide some more specific feedback.

Last edited:
Price drop: Now $30,000 CAD firm. New Tundra is finally en-route so this won't be my daily driver soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom