Mercedes V8 in FJ40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there,

I recently bought an 1980 FJ40 here in Chile. It has an original (slow) diesel, and I now can get my hands on as well a 3,5, 3,8 or a 4,5 Merc V8 engine. The obvious question is, has anyone ever done this before? Preferebally in a way that the original gearbox still can be used.

Any info would be very welcome.

Cheers,

Dutch Alex

I wouldn't mess with a gasoline power MB engine, at least a V8. They weren't really meant to be used in an off road vehicle, and they are very expensive to repair, and just to give a tune up can run several hundered US dollars in just parts...

I doubt many people have done that.
If your 3b diesel runs well why not put a turbo on it. Those are readily available out of australia. check it out!

An MB gasser would make a nicer poser "city" cruiser but the diesel would be better for off road activities

I think the mercedes v8 is a great idea, I'm a apprentice mechanic at a benz dealership. The older benz engines had casting technology (ie. silicon impregnated cylinders) that nobody else has figured out even today. What engine specifically are you looking at? some of the engines were desinged for offroad use, the 617 or the 109 for example. But the mercedes automatic tranny would not be up to the task.

Merc V8

123c said:
I wouldn't mess with a gasoline power MB engine, at least a V8. They weren't really meant to be used in an off road vehicle, and they are very expensive to repair, and just to give a tune up can run several hundered US dollars in just parts...

Thanks for your reply, but still I am a big Mercedes V8 fan. I know that these engines are expensive, but their technology is superb. What they get out of an 3.5 any American engine will at least need a 5.0 (due to DOHC). Not even to mention the weight factor...

axlechassis said:
I doubt many people have done that.
If your 3b diesel runs well why not put a turbo on it. Those are readily available out of australia. check it out!

An MB gasser would make a nicer poser "city" cruiser but the diesel would be better for off road activities

Good tip, I will contemplate between this and the (probably more expensive) Merc option.

landcrusher81 said:
I think the mercedes v8 is a great idea, I'm a apprentice mechanic at a benz dealership. The older benz engines had casting technology (ie. silicon impregnated cylinders) that nobody else has figured out even today. What engine specifically are you looking at? some of the engines were desinged for offroad use, the 617 or the 109 for example. But the mercedes automatic tranny would not be up to the task.

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. Well, my favourite is the 4.5 (European version, not these US-ones which are for some reason even slower than a European 3.5...). Great torque, and not too much weight. You have a good point on the tranny, how would that work then?
And what about the silicon technology, first time I heard about this.

As a german v-8 enthusiast (of the BMW rather than Merc variety), I would advise thinking hard about this sort of thing for the following reasons:

1. The 40 series has about all the power it needs from the 2f engine (or diesel). It is not particulaly suited to high speed use, and it can't relly pull a heavy trailer.
2. The chevy v-8 has plenty of low end torque and the swap is a well documented procedure.
3. The merc swap would likely require some real engineering and fabrication work. this would be expensive.

That said, have you considered something like a g500 mercedes? These are selling for around 40,000 usd for a nice 2002 model year, are a better all around package, already has the v-8, would be resellable, etc.

Steve C said:
As a german v-8 enthusiast (of the BMW rather than Merc variety), I would advise thinking hard about this sort of thing for the following reasons:

1. The 40 series has about all the power it needs from the 2f engine (or diesel). It is not particulaly suited to high speed use, and it can't relly pull a heavy trailer.
2. The chevy v-8 has plenty of low end torque and the swap is a well documented procedure.
3. The merc swap would likely require some real engineering and fabrication work. this would be expensive.

That said, have you considered something like a g500 mercedes? These are selling for around 40,000 usd for a nice 2002 model year, are a better all around package, already has the v-8, would be resellable, etc.

Thank you Steve,
The G500 is way over my budget, but your second point solves the V8 thinking. This has been done before, and in the next months I will decide what to do. This forum is great, one learns so much.

Best regards to all that have replied.,

Dutch Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom