Builds Mercedes OM606 Turbodiesel into FZJ80 - engine refresh and more turbo fun (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What size intercooler did you end up using/calculating for your setup? (Compares to stocker.?)

The core is 15 x 10 x 3.5, which is about double the volume of the stock intercooler, but with lower fin density. See earlier in this thread for photos without the bumper. It's basically the biggest I could fit in that area without sacrificing the ability to run a winch on the ARB.

Well my injector "refurbish" still resultedin some "nailing" at idle, so I went ahead and rebuilt the injectors again with brand new nozzles and pop-tested them, adding .002"-.004" shims to get the proper pressure of around 1950 psi. The result is a nice, quiet idle.

Nice work. Have a link for your injection Jack thingy? Does it work well? Been thinking of getting one but not sure which.

Thank you, it's basically just the cheapest one sold on eBay right now (I'm pretty sure they are all made by the same place in China). I didn't have high hopes for quality, but if you take care of it, it should be fine for very occasional use. Just make sure you pump clean diesel through it before use.

Ahh Cool. Did you get proper shims or make you own? I thought about using feeler gauges but not sure how I could cut it without deforming them.
Have you thought about a fan on the intercooler? Might help with towing or hill climbing or both!
Spal makes some quality stuff. I only say that cus your in Colorado which sets the bar just about as high as it gets when it comes to hills and altitude and stuff.

Ahh Cool. Did you get proper shims or make you own? I thought about using feeler gauges but not sure how I could cut it without deforming them.
Have you thought about a fan on the intercooler? Might help with towing or hill climbing or both!
Spal makes some quality stuff. I only say that cus your in Colorado which sets the bar just about as high as it gets when it comes to hills and altitude and stuff.

I found some shims on McMaster that aren't quite exactly a perfect fit, but I sandwiched them between the injector body and actual shim, so the spring doesn't have to ride on the new shim.

Because the intercooler is totally outside the engine bay, I'm not too concerned about heat soak, but a small fan covering part of the core may be beneficial. At low flow rates, the intercooler may just have enough thermal mass and external surface area to dissipate the heat via radiation.

Ahh thx for the shim info. I think at hwy speeds your cooler will get decient flow, it's just at slower speeds, which is probably when you'd need it the most, it would suffer.

Instead of having a whole bunch of round gauges to measure all the engine things, I opted to use this sweet piece of hardware to read all the DSL1's sensor data over CAN bus. It's a Plex Tuning µSDM pro and it should fit nicely in place of the clock with some trimming.

DUDE, I'm impressed to the nth degree with your knowledge and ability during this project that I just read. Wow. Where in CO are you? I might be moving to the state this year. Again, kudos and congrats on enjoying the fruits of all that hard work.

Awesome build man! You should consider making this a kit for the 80 community as I'm sure there will be plenty of people interested in this swap.
I've thought about that, and it may happen sometime in the future. There's still a couple things I would like to look into before possibly making a kit. Things like a higher-stall torque converter or a sequential turbos, mechanical injection pump, etc. I have a full time job so that would have to probably change before I put in the time to make a kit that any mechanic could theoretically assemble. Thank you for the kind words!

DUDE, I'm impressed to the nth degree with your knowledge and ability during this project that I just read. Wow. Where in CO are you? I might be moving to the state this year. Again, kudos and congrats on enjoying the fruits of all that hard work.

Thank you much. I'm in northern CO: Loveland/Fort Collins/Greeley area.

Not that I know anything about Mercedes engines but unless you want power across an extremely wide rpm range, compounds might be a better fit. You can still achieve early spool and a wider range with compounds but obviously higher overall boost is possible.

Not that I know anything about Mercedes engines but unless you want power across an extremely wide rpm range, compounds might be a better fit. You can still achieve early spool and a wider range with compounds but obviously higher overall boost is possible.

The Borg Warner R2S and the Cummins M2 turbo systems can run in both sequential and compound conifgs, depending on how the bypass valves are controlled. Like you say, one could go for really high boost pressure in compound mode, and run in sequential at lower loads in the efficiency island of the respective compressors.

After trying to fit a Cummins/Holset M2 from the new Nissan Titan, I found that it may be too big of an assembly to fit.

So for now, I'm going with a variable geometry GT2056V from a 07-08 OM642. It should allow for 250hp/450 ft-lb and excellent off-idle torque. I may try the Holset in the future. I hate to hack up a brand new turbo system though.

The turbine inlet flange faces back on this turbo, so I just cut it off and welded a pipe to a water-jet flange. It fits pretty well and looks stock once installed.

I finally got the A/C system installed and charged up.

I took all the parts to the local hose supply shop and had them braze hose ends on the Toyota/Mercedes fittings. I also had them stick a 5' piece of straight tube on that I would later bend to shape.

I also added an auxiliary fan wired to a switch so it can be controlled either automatically, fully manual, or just off.

@anothernord looks like you did away with the AC drier?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom