Mercedes G's from Japan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Eco 45

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Base of the Three Sisters Mountains Oregon
Website
www.eco-offroad.com
I seem to have an addiction to vehicles, especially if they are boxy and unique. I love Toyotas, however they are not the only maker of things square and a joy to take off road. Thus I found myself searching the Japanese auctions and what should jump out at me...a Mercedes 300GE long wheel base G wagon. And because I didn't want it to be lonely at my shop I bought two.... Let the fun begin.

IMG_7659.JPG

I just love extra wiring!

IMG_7664.JPG

IMG_7665.JPG

IMG_7679.JPG

Awesome! Looking forward to what you do with them. The W460 and early W463 are my favorite offroad vehicles bar none. If I had the money to maintain one I'd still have mine; I regret selling it on an almost daily basis. My dream would be to build an OM606 LWB W460.

There's been many of these government surplus in europe for a long time. Sites like vebeg.de sell them, in Germany. I don't think the g-wagons are inherently bad, just expect lots of electrical gremlins, and all your parts will be expensive.

There's cheaper ways to drive around something boxy though. America did invent the old Wagoneer..

Prices for parts haven't been crazy, especially if you stay before the 2000 model year. I drive many boxy things, but there is something unique about how the G feels that makes it fun to have in the garage. Never been a big fan of the rectangle fog lights with round headlights that most German cars had in the 90s so time to modify the bumper.

IMG_7741.JPG

IMG_7743.JPG

IMG_7777.JPG