Mercedes deisel? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OK, I think I need to link this thread to the [thread=55814]previous one[/thread], over in the diesel section, where I laid out the whole plan a year ago... :)

Yes, we're using a split case, but not the way you might think. The Benz engine/tranny is a lot shorter than the 2F/H42 was, so we're making a cover plate (divorce plate) for the front of the t-case so that it can stand alone. We'll run a short shaft to the transmission output. That way, no driveshaft changes.

(Edited my post #13 just now... FJ60s are in the 1/2-ton pickup weight class. But that is still below the class for Frito-Lay trucks...)

JBBenson said:
Luke Porter from 4X4 Labs is still working on adapting Mercedes diesels to fit 60 series Cruisers.
"Still" being the operative word, there. He's been promising for years now. We've only been messing around with this for a year so far. :)

Oh. OK.

I am just forwarding what he mailed me.

I am in California so my diesel options are more limited than with other states, thus my interest in the Mercedes conversion.

polarweasel said:
The 3B might win, but you can tune up the Benz engine pretty far and they make really good power.

What you got in mind here? I would keep the boost below 14 psi.

intercooloer
exhuast

what else?

pvidrummer said:
Why can't you guys just modify the 2f engine? Put a header, pistons, ignition, cam and call it a day?

Header is illegal in Kalifornia...

After all that, I'd still be left with a gasoline-burning 2F. I'm not expecting to recoup costs, but the benefits to me do include increased mileage and enhanced reliability. I like the idea of a fully dunkable engine, but more important to me is the advantage of going longer on trips without refueling, and maybe even not having to worry about carrying a jerry can most of the time.

(And I do not want to start a fight here about this, but the potential environmental benefits of biodiesel are attractive, too. If I could get close to, or even above, 20 mpg and burn plants instead of fossil fuel, I'd feel better about driving my truck more often.)

[(And I do not want to start a fight here about this, but the potential environmental benefits of biodiesel are attractive, too. If I could get close to, or even above, 20 mpg and burn plants instead of fossil fuel, I'd feel better about driving my truck more often.)]

Amen, these are my main reasons for considering the diesel conversion.
Good luck with your conversion.

geoffk said:
[(And I do not want to start a fight here about this, but the potential environmental benefits of biodiesel are attractive, too. If I could get close to, or even above, 20 mpg and burn plants instead of fossil fuel, I'd feel better about driving my truck more often.)]

Amen, these are my main reasons for considering the diesel conversion.
Good luck with your conversion.

No fight from me.

Those are my reasons as well.

I see the beginnings of a market here for an enterprising mechanic. Especially in California, where there is alot of interest in biodiesel.

How about an electric Land Cruiser?:

http://www.laweekly.com/general/features/whos-resurrecting-the-electric-car/13975/

You need to get the actual vehicle weight and subtract the weight of the engine and transmission and transfercase. That gives you the workable weight of the vehicle being converted. Then do the same with the donor vehicle. Then know the weight of the engine/transmission/tcase being used and add it into the conversion vehicle. Then you can compare it with both original rigs rather then saying this one weighs this and that one weighs that so its better...... doesnt work that way. Look at the data for my 1985 4runner conversion using the diesel from a 240D and VW 1.9TDI as well as the 1975 LR 109 Safari wagon diesel and the VW 1.9TD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom