Mercedes deisel? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sacto60

1987 FJ60 2" OME 33s
Threads
Somebody told me recently that if/when my '87 2F goes, I can drop a Mercedes 5 cyl deisel engine my 60. Has anyone heard of this?

The thought of doing this has been mentioned/suggested a few times on this board, but I don't think anyone here has actually made the plunge and done it. Or at least written about it yet...
4x4 Labs near you in Calif. was going to do a Mercedes adapter but I don't think anything ever came of it... http://4x4labs.com/diesel.html. Might be worth talking to them to see who, if anyone, has done it...
From what I remember, those engines are bombproof and last forever but they may not have the torque of the original 2F... there are quite a few other, proven LC diesel options that are popular if you search around, though. They just all cost some coin.

PolarWeasel is just about finished with his. I'm guessing the torque is much more than the 2F's.

Hmm, I thought I replied to this, but it didn't show up. Oh well.

Yeah, we're getting close to done converting my 60. MiniPigg in Cheyenne is doing one, too. Give us another month or a bit more, and we'll have it tested out. If it turns out to be a good conversion, we'll have a conversion kit ready to go (and hopefully a Toyota Trails article) not long afterward.

Stay tuned. :)

This just does not make sense to me. The only reason I can see doing this is the engine is very realiable and well built and can get a used one cheap. It has less hp and torque than a 2f and a FJ60 weighs a lot more. If i was going to spend the money and could upgrade to a diesel and still drive it in California I would find a Cummins.

2f horsepower/torque
135@3600 210@1800

617.952 engine
120 hp @ 4350 rpm and 184 lb*ft of torque @ 2400 rpm

Weight
3,600lb Mercedes 300D
4188lbs FJ60

Here is what I found. Might vary some.

Last edited:
NocalFJ60 said:
This just does not make sense to me. The only reason I can see doing this is the engine is very realiable and well built and can get a used one cheap. It has less hp and torque than a 2f. If i was going to spend the money and could upgrade to a diesel and still drive it in California I would find a Cummins.

2f horsepower/torque
135@3600 210@1800

617.952 engine

Remember though, a Cummings will not be legal in Ca due to its intended vehicle weight class. You might get lucky and sneak it through the referee but I wouldn't bet $$$ on it. And you could always turn up the fuel and boost on the MB :D

ChuckB said:
Remember though, a Cummings will not be legal in Ca due to its intended vehicle weight class. You might get lucky and sneak it through the referee but I wouldn't bet $$$ on it. And you could always turn up the fuel and boost on the MB :D

Exactly..that is why I said if I could.. I don't think it would pass smog when they would see the diesel in there instead of the 2f.:doh:

I have a 300D non turbo. As well a 3B powered 60. The 3B is more powerful. More torquey.

The 300D 5 cylinder diesel is smoother, revs higher and is pretty tough. Lots of funny linkages tho. Manual trannies are hard to find.

I think 300D would push it around. Slow for sure. the NA model is 88hp. So almost a 3B 90'

I think a guy on Toyota diesel madness forum stuffed a merc diesel into his 4runner. kinda neat.

NocalFJ60 said:
This just does not make sense to me. The only reason I can see doing this is the engine is very realiable and well built and can get a used one cheap. It has less hp and torque than a 2f and a FJ60 weighs a lot more. If i was going to spend the money and could upgrade to a diesel and still drive it in California I would find a Cummins.

2f horsepower/torque
135@3600 210@1800

617.952 engine

Weight
3,600lb Mercedes 300D
4188lbs FJ60

Would the MB diesel not have more power than the 3B powered BJ60?

The 3B has only 98 horse@3500 rpm and torque=23 kg/m. I dunno how to convert that torque # to lb ft, so I have no idea how that compares.

Edit: OK, nevermind. I'm too late. Carry on. Nothing to see here.

The turbo version of the MB eng does have more power than the non turbo 3B. But throw a turbo on the 3B and it wins.

The 3B might win, but you can tune up the Benz engine pretty far and they make really good power. Oh, and I can't buy a nice 3B complete with turbo for $500 around here. How about you? :)

And ChuckB got it exactly right. The FJ60 is in the 1/2-ton pickup weight class, according to the EPA, one above the Mercedes, but definitely not a bread-truck class. If you need to be smog-legal, which we do in much of Colorado, no Cummins for you!

Last edited:
polarweasel said:
The 3B might win, but you can tune up the Benz engine pretty far and they make really good power. Oh, and I can't buy a nice 3B complete with turbo for $500 around here. How about you? :)

And ChuckB got it exactly right. The FJ60 is in the "station wagon" weight class, according to the EPA, same as the Mercedes. If you need to be smog-legal, which we do in much of Colorado, no Cummins for you!

Some donar bj60's in rough shape go for around 1500 or less. Hard to find tho. Merc diesel in the USA is really common.

try for merc tech. www.mercedesshop.com

Yep, Mercedesshop is a great place to go for tech. Also not a bad source for parts: they ship quickly, and their prices are generally reasonable.

PW,

I am interested in this conversion ,as you know I'm in Kalifornia... Did you ever find a manual or are you using the MB automatic??

We're using the auto. However, attaching a manual (4-speed) from a 240D is apparently pretty easy. There's a mechanic here in the area (he's in Hygiene, CO) who says he's done a lot of those tranny swaps.

Side note: apparently my local county clerk's office doesn't care about engine swaps. Get a diesel emissions test and a VIN verification, and they'll change your title to say DIESEL (in other words: they will ignore the weight class and year restrictions!). California does not work that way, and neither does Colorado as far as the law goes, but this is good news for future swappers. Me, I'm doing it according to the letter of the law, but that's mostly coincidental. :)

So are you running a split case behind it?

Luke Porter from 4X4 Labs is still working on adapting Mercedes diesels to fit 60 series Cruisers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom