Mental well being picnic results in epic helicopter jump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Saddletramp

GOLD Star
Threads
Took a quick run last Saturday with @brices123 and @Fishbone60 to Bloody Basin and up FR18 to the beginning of Red Creek. Lots of people camping at 7 Springs and along the road. Since this was a last minute call all anyone brought was PB&J sandwiches and our personal snacks.

We ran in to three cowboys, complete with chaps and six guns riding along checking on cattle, didn’t think much about it at the time but 20 minutes later we run in to a helicopter about a half mile from Red Creek, sitting there with two jeeps with hoods up. This caused some curiosity, us in them and them in our being there. An old guy, looking like he didn’t have two nickels to rub together, asks if I have jumper cable. Yes I said. Are they long cables, he asked. About 18 feet I replied. Are they heavy he prodded? I replied about 10 pounds. He said, I meant gauge. I replied that’s what makes them heavy. A big smile and shout back to the folks by the helicopter that I had cables.
468BF501-45B3-4F29-A6C7-5D97DCBE3809.jpeg

As it turned out, the helicopter had landed to check on the cowboys who were checking the ranchers cattle. When they got ready to leave the helicopter starting battery was dead and the needed a 24 volt jump hence the need for two sets of jumper cables. My landcruiser was too tall as was Brice’s but the two jeeps fit under the rotors so our cables and their batteries did the trick. Helicopter whined to life and took off but not before the older gentleman introduced himself as the owner of the Red Creek Ranch and was leasing land and running cattle in our favorite wheeling area and recently adopted trail. We gave him a CSC business card and he told me that if we ever needed anything to just stop in the ranch house and ask. I told him we had recently adopted the trail in partnership with TRAL and he was genuinely pleased.
083F02EF-93C9-4F23-A593-3BD9299CCCB2.jpeg

44EF185B-7098-42C3-8657-109578BD3879.jpeg

video of the event

CSC wasn’t done for the day yet. As we lunched at Red Creeks edge two of the cowboys we had seen earlier rode up and asked if we knew how to get back to Tangle Creek. We gave map directions to them and then they asked if we were the ones who helped jump their bosses helicopter. They told us they were from Texas and didn’t know the area well yet and that the boss was checking in on them, which is why the helicopter landed in the first place.
we asked where the third cowboy was and they replied he was back at camp sick, maybe Coronavirus was contracted when he went to Walmart in town to get supplies they said. We asked if they were worried. Heck no, they replied. “Horses have been getting Coronavirus for years and they get vaccinated so we decided to vaccinate ourselves”. Away they rode back to camp after quenching their thirst with a couple of our sodas. Can’t make this crap up.

So in one outing we jumped a helicopter and gave directions to cowboys. Just a perfect day getting away from the media and the insanity.

Epic day. Glad @aztlctina was there with us. No one would ever believe us three men.

CSC wasn’t done for the day yet. As we lunched at Red Creeks edge two of the cowboys we had seen earlier rode up and asked if we knew how to get back to Tangle Creek. We gave map directions to them and then they asked if we were the ones who helped jump their bosses helicopter. They told us they were from Texas and didn’t know the area well yet and that the boss was checking in on them, which is why the helicopter landed in the first place.
we asked where the third cowboy was and they replied he was back at camp sick, maybe Coronavirus was contracted when he went to Walmart in town to get supplies they said. We asked if they were worried. Heck no, they replied. “Horses have been getting Coronavirus for years and they get vaccinated so we decided to vaccinate ourselves”. Away they rode back to camp after quenching their thirst with a couple of our sodas. Can’t make this crap up.

So in one outing we jumped a helicopter and gave directions to cowboys. Just a perfect day getting away from the media and the insanity.
That is so cool.

Ah yes, the camp counselor who cautioned us to not help or listen to the kids. They were a group of “outward bound like” kids who they were trying to get back on track. The counselor showed us his credentials and a knife he made himself.

such an interesting day.

Camp counselor even thought the kids were weird? What a future we have here in the good old USA! Thanks for posting Steve👍

we asked where the third cowboy was and they replied he was back at camp sick, maybe Coronavirus was contracted when he went to Walmart in town to get supplies they said. We asked if they were worried. Heck no, they replied. “Horses have been getting Coronavirus for years and they get vaccinated so we decided to vaccinate ourselves”.

Oh good at least they're vaccinated against equine coronavirus...different thing. I hope someone explains to them how science works. :rolleyes:

When I read “epic helicopter jump” I was hoping for pics of saddletramp bungee jumping out of a helicopter... good story though 😊

So, this counts as rescuing a helicopter from the wilderness, right?

I hope one of you slapped a CSC club decal on the back window,...

:cool: story :cheers:

When I read “epic helicopter jump” I was hoping for pics of saddletramp bungee jumping out of a helicopter... good story though 😊
i was picturing @Saddletramp cruising down the trail and jumping over the helicopter evil kanevil style. :steer: 🚙🚁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom