Memorial Day Weekend (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2 minimum

LMK if I need to wash my 80 for this weekend:D

I am going to be gone this weekend to Ohio for a wedding:mad::crybaby:

Maybe able to do June 17-19th if you don't think that is too late...otherwise:confused::bang:

I have driven Hwy 89 25+ times and never new of any road either. Trust when I say it is not very popular. Long road to the base then switch backs all the way to the top. Had the place all to ourself:cool:

Been there several times but never driven so, no chance to explore. That is some remote, forbidding and beautiful country.:cool: You could spend a week up there and not run out of things to see.:grinpimp:

Day 2

We wake to bitter cold morning with the wind still blowing. I ask Jennifer if she is ready for me to make breakfast and I get met with "we are going to the lodge for breakfast,,,OK. After breakfast I meet Earl, a guide for the area and get some tips on new places to see and off we go.

Once we hit dirt I see this Unimog from Switzerland hidden in the trees.:cool:

I'm a fire lookout tower fan and I could not miss Dry Park tower. One of four 120' towers with a 7'x7' cab on top in the state. I had to make the climb to the top in 40+mph wind that offered it own thrill at 120'. The view was great and the storm was coming in and within 10 seconds I had enough.
2011-05-28_00014.jpg
2011-05-28_00016.jpg
2011-05-28_00015.jpg

I had never spent much time on the east side. I had Earl clued me in on some look out points, a short 4WD road, and a back dirt road out to Fredonia for gas and our next spot Toroweap Overlook.
2011-05-29_00017.jpg
2011-05-29_00018.jpg

Nice pictures..Sound like a nice trip. BTW is the picture from the top looking down through the Snorkel? Keep us posted with the pictures. That first picture with the landcruiser and road is a great shot...:beer:

Really neat! Michelle and I have been in lots of lookout towers over the years, mostly Colorado and Wyoming. There was one with a complete 3 room log cabin on top. We stayed in one near Terryall Reservoir Colorado, thru a lightening storm. We won a whole lotta beer on that one!!! Looks like were gunna hafta load up the 80 again!!

Last edited:
Melissa would have liked that trip, sounds like a good time Phil.