Memorial Day weekend camping trip down south, near the VLA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
I was thinking of joining the NM4x4 gang for a camping/wheeling trip near the VLA. It looks like we'll be setting up base camp at a primitive spot, near the VLA (Very Large Array) and then make day trips to the Datil, Bear, San Mateo, and Magdalena Mountain ranges.

I'll be taking the camper and the family along for this trip. Let me know if anyone wants to go on this trip so that I can pass it along to Frank. It'd be nice to have a small contingency of Toyotas along. The temps should be nice down there during this time of the year.

The VLA is very cool NRAO Very Large Array

Link to the campsite location: N 34.068161, W 107.451954 - Google Maps

Copy/paste from the President of the club, Frank Whiston:
-----------------------------------------------------

The camp site is primitive (no facilities), but very accessible for RV's
and truck campers. You will need to be self sufficient and pack it in and
pack it out. There are two gas stations in Magdalena, but one of them was out of gas today. You might consider carrying extra gas just in case. If you plan to camp, please bring a few sticks of wood to pitch in for campfires.

Directions:

Continue West on US 60 for ~12 miles.

Turn South (left) on State Road 168. There is a large brown sign marking
the road showing 17 miles to Beartrap CG along with several other
destinations.

Go ~.5 miles and through the fence. The camping area is on the left, just
past the fence.

For those of you with GPS, here are the coordinates: N 34.068161, W

I plan to arrive Thursday afternoon 5/27/10 and will stay through Monday
5/31/10. Today, there were others camping in this general area, so I hope that I can secure this exact spot when I arrive. If not, we will find
another spot between there and US 60, staying in the trees.

Trips will be on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and depart at 9:00 AM each
morning. Consider these trips as exploratory. Trips may explore the Datil, Bear, San Mateo, and Magdalena Mountain ranges.

Other Accommodations in the town of Magdalena:

High Country Lodge, 303 1st St, 505-854-2063

Eagle's Nest RV and Motel, US HWY 60 and NM State RD 107, 505-854-3137

Rancho Magdalena B and B, 1-800-462-5489, info@ranchomagdalena.com

Western Motel and RV Park, 575-854-2417

Please send me an email if you plan on attending this run so that I can get an approximate head count. Also, please specify if you are camping with us, staying in town, or just coming down for a single day (please specify).

Frank

----------------------------------------------------------------------

hmm, 47 views and nobody wants to go camping...(head scratcher). :hmm:

Sorry, going to Durango for a little bike ride.

I will speak with the wife, the Gundersons may be in. We have definitely been itching to get out for some camping!

Dang! I was planning on either camping in the San Juans or working on the 40 then. I'm thinking about it, but no promises...

Dan

Snow camping? Haven't you gotten tired of snow in CO yet? :D

Snow camping? Haven't you gotten tired of snow in CO yet? :D

I never get tired of snow. Summer is for amateurs!

Must be a sale on at the Staggering Ox in Missoula. ;) I'm not sure I can pass through any so equipped town in Montana without filling up at the Ox a time or two...

Dan

Don't remember what the Mdates are: either working or in Durango area that weekend, dropping trees.

Looks like the Ali's are heading South on Friday morning. So far I have interest from:

Mike
Paul (Vehicross dude)
Steve (Lurch)
Gundersons

We can come up with a meeting place somewhere on I-25 before convoying down to the camp spot.

More info from Frank:

Copy/paste

------------------------------------------
To: A. Ali <alia176@yahoo.com>; DONALD LEE WALKER JR <don87401@msn.com>; Don Lee <don87401@yahoo.com>; Cliff Meier <sarmeier@yahoo.com>; Russ <canul8r@yahoo.com>; pbrady4x4@hotmail.com
Sent: Sat, May 22, 2010 7:11:18 AM
Subject: Memorial Day Weekend Potluck

Hey everyone,

Since it looks like we are going to have a fairly small group, I thought that I’d take volunteers for what to bring for a potluck on Saturday. We are planning to bring a main dish. Reply all so that everyone knows and we do not end up with all deserts.

Thanks,

Frank

-------------------------------------------------------

Update from Frank:

copy/paste

-------------------
Another Potluck Update:

Walkers: Potato/pasta salad

Ali: Green Salad

Meiers: Sloppy Joes

Bradys: Enchiladas

Wolfie: Corn on the cob

Whiston Jr: Cake

Duggar: Brisket

Schulze: Chicken Legs

Frank

It looks like my biz back in VA will take up a lot of my time this weekend, but Lauren and I are still going to come out for Saturday. We'll get there early enough to join in on the trail riding and stick around for the potluck. I'll have to head back Sunday morning though.

We'll bring some fruit salad and/or various fruit for the potluck.

It looks like my biz back in VA will take up a lot of my time this weekend, but Lauren and I are still going to come out for Saturday. We'll get there early enough to join in on the trail riding and stick around for the potluck. I'll have to head back Sunday morning though.

We'll bring some fruit salad and/or various fruit for the potluck.

Awesome, that'd be great. Just so you know Lurch is thinking of heading South Friday late afternoon so perhaps you two can somehow manage to show up on Friday eve and have a relaxing Sat morning? Just a suggestion.

I'll PM you my contact info and you already have the long/lat of our camp site.

How long is everyone planning on staying? I'm thinking about heading back sometime on Sunday. Also I'm guessing the potluck for the entire camp or just HDC? Needs to know how much to bring of....TBD ;)

How long is everyone planning on staying? I'm thinking about heading back sometime on Sunday. Also I'm guessing the potluck for the entire camp or just HDC? Needs to know how much to bring of....TBD ;)

We'll be heading back on Monday probably since it's a holiday. The potluck is for the whole club so bring enough, although I think we'll probably have too much food sat night!

You may want to shoot Frank an email just to let him know that you're coming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom