Memorial Day 2020 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Please remember why today is a National Holiday and spend a few minutes thinking of the sacrifices so many have made so that the rest of us can enjoy the Country we hold so dear.

We can best honor our fallen heroes by reflecting on the principles for which they lost their lives.

While our wars have not always been the result of the purest of motives, our warriors motives have always been pure.

Please, let’s all endeavor to honor our fallen by striving to live our lives at the same high standards that they portrayed as they expelled their last breath.

A few of my favorite Memorial Day quotes:

“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.”- Mark Twain

“If you want to thank a soldier, be the kind of American worth fighting for.” – Unknown

“In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.”- Martin Luther King Jr

“It doesn’t take a hero to order men into battle. It takes a hero to be one of those men who goes into battle.”- Norman Schwarzkopf

“Never throughout history has a man who lived a life of ease left a name worth remembering.”- Theodore Roosevelt

“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We did not pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.”- Ronald Reagan

... and my favorite quote:

“Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.”- Charles de Gaulle.

I will always hold dear the memories and sacrifices of our fallen heroes.

A very good post Solace.
I often think about the kids I knew in high school that joined or were drafted with in a year of graduating in 1965.
One was a very gentle you man named Danny that was killed in action.
I always liked him and while we were never best buddies but he could have been.
I had another friend that was a couple years younger than me and while I never hung out with him in school we got together the two weeks I was home on leave right after boot camp.
We raised some hell together in those two weeks and over the years I often wondered what ever happened to him.
Not quite a year ago I came across his older brother on face book and struck up a conversation.
When I asked about Scott, his brother told me he died a few years ago.
Scott got wounded pretty bad in Vietnam and was in constant pain afterward.
Like many vets he turned to drink and drugs that I am sure contributed to his demise but he answered the call of his country so deserved better.
To me Scott's death is fresh.
There are many that died for this country and many that are still suffering from the effects of battle while serving be it from 50 years ago or the most recent so in respect to them give some real thought to what you want this country to be and don't let these men and women to have died in vain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom