Membership - Retention? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woody

Staff member
Admin
Threads
I know I'm on the fence with regards to membership in TLCA right now, but a good discussion never hurt anyone...

I joined TLCA in 1990 when I knew nothing about Cruisers. I've kept it for the newsletter (Toyota Trails) and in part for the discounts. I honestly guess I've just always considered the continued payment of my subscription/dues as normal every year.

Why did (or didn't) you join TLCA in the first place?

For those who have joined and left, why didn't you remain a member? Politics? Forgot to renew?

What change/tickler/etc would be effective in either making you a member in the future or causing you to renew consistently?

(this should get interesting...it's been batted around on the bodreps list some but honestly I think the group is too close to the issue for complete input....after all, they ARE members!)

Woody, thanks for the Forum. I hope some TLCA folks will participate or at least read it.

I expect to continue to renew every year.

Still, I've almost forgot to renew the last couple of years. A renewal postcard (ie; a bill) would be very helpful. I know about the expire date on the mailing label, but that's not a "bill" in my mind. I'm too busy tearing through it to get the mag. Combined with the sometimes erratic delivery schedule of the Toyota Trails, the mailing label notice isn't that helpful.

The post card remiders work. Heck, I've been known to renew memberships I had previously decided to let lapse. Blue ribbon, treadlightly and other not for profits do it. Heck, everyone does it. It works.

I joined for the Toyota Trails, and because Land Cruiser Legends of WI recomended it. I have continued to renew, even tho I've sold my cruiser. Its all because of the TT, its the best off-road newsletter/magizine out there IMHO.

I don't know anything that would keep me a member as the TT already does. Now that being said, I will drop my membership if the TT ever goes away. I don't the the TLCA could effectivly sustain a large membership if they couldn't communicate with the members.

The reason I have not Joined is I don't feel my Cruiser is enough Cruiser to be in that type of organization. I know that I should join, but frankly I'm in too many organizations already. I have seen the TT at LCL meetings but to me it's all info I can get elsewhere.

Man I guess I should drop out. The only part that will be Toyota on it will probably be the hood. May not even be in stock form. :D Guess I should give up calling it a Toyota.

I joined last June when I bought my pig. I became a member because it was cheaper for me to get the membership and buy all of my conversion stuff from Warden's with the TLCA discount, than to buy the stuff without the membership.

It saved me a few bucks, and I got the cool magazine, stickers, dash plaque out of the deal. The only real reason I renewed it was because of the magazine.

I don't know if that helps any, but that's my experience.
Zipp.

I joined simply so that I could run the Rubithon..
then I rejoined (after a lapse because I simply did not realize that I was not a member anymore). After I rejoined I never got the trails. Apparently the bulk mail issue was stopping the TT from reaching my house and my parents house (where it used to go) Okay my bad..
When I tried to resolve the address issue everything blew up.
So I will not be subscribing to the TLCA again. It is not worth my time or energy to deal with little power trips..

Just my opinion of course :)

My membership is good until July, so I've got a while to decide. My only reason to stay on now is for the Toyota Trails. With Henry leaving I'll have to see how the publication changes. If I don't feel it is offering the same quality, then I may not renew.
I do think though that the TLCA is a good resource for new Land Cruiser owners. They need the experience of the "old-timers" like some of us. If we leave because it offers nothing else for us, then we're being a little selfish and taking away a knowledge base that new members need.
The TLCA runs are fun too. I attended my first this year and had a great time (CM02), although I only went on one "official" run. I plan on attending BHCC next year.

What knowledge base does a "old-timer" like me provice for anyone in TLCA? On the LCML, yes, on this or many other forums, yes, but not within TLCA or the Trails. (I'm lazy and don't contribute...heh)

BHCC 2003 will be my reason to rejoin as well. My membership expires in Jan tho...and I'm likewise curious as to the continued quality of the Trails publication.

Speaking of which, why is my mail so slow and my Sept/Oct issue not in my mag rack yet?!?! lol

I guess we don't necessarily contribute anything through TLCA, but TLCA is a natural place to start for someone just learing about Cruisers. I think it's from there that people will learn about the LCML and eventually find sources like this.
I was just thinking that without the TLCA, it would be harder to learn what's available. I've been wrong before though.

Since I know about most of the BB's, mailing lists, and vendors, I can't decide if I would be able to find it all as easily now if I had no knowledge base. I just remember that the TLCA was my first contact when I got my first Cruiser.

You are right, as a first contact for anything Cruiser related, TLCA was the obvious choice.

For me that was 1990. Al Gore hadn't invented the internet for everyday folks. Print was the ONLY option. Trails was a newsletter-type format, yellowed/tan paper, and Gary Bjork was the editor. Very simple, very effective, and a good publication.

Now, with the search engines available, you can find 99% of your stuff online. Even SOR has a forum now, along with CCoT, and they are pretty busy.

Trails has evolved properly, bringing additional tech information but relying moreso on the trail reports and on rig features and such. Those are still things I enjoy reading about. I get instant answers for tech on the internet - the Trails is just not timely enough for that information. It IS a good place for NEW items to get written up tho, like the ToyBox or something like that - but again, that's a feature item, moreso than writing about replacing your pinion seal...

Posted by: cruiserrg Posted on: 10/22/02 at 21:24:34
Man I guess I should drop out. The only part that will be Toyota on it will probably be the hood. May not even be in stock form. Guess I should give up calling it a Toyota.
Maybe you should call it "sauerkraut on rye" Reuben...hee hee!

As a first timer to LC's I actually found my parts sources, info sources, and forums online before I became aware of and interested in joining TLCA. I am carefully considering all of the pros and cons being presented right now, and I hope that you guys will add something that will make the choice easier. I know that I have access to good info, but I also know that I have a ton to learn, and lots of people that I would love to meet. I hope that you guys help me figure this one out (along with the five billion other quistions that will be coming :D)
Ledge, Mosca CO
'73 FJ40 -in need of help

Ledge,

Join up, you won't regret it.

Attend a TLCA event if you can, you won't regret that either. It is always cool to see 100+ land cruisers at the same place.

Even the most disgruntled members still want the organization to be better. Your membership will make it better.

See you on the trail,
Jim Brantley
Pismo Beach, CA
TLCA #6433

Jim's right....as displeased as some (I) get, they (I) still want things to correct themselves.

I think you'll find that the majority of the membership is relatively uninformed as to the political workings within the TLCA BOD. Hence, they attend some great events, received a quality publication, and generally stay oblivious to the internal junk.

Those who belong to active clubs or those who are active in the "direction" process that TLCA takes, tend to see the unpleasant side of the process....the internal strife, pettiness, bickering, etc that is an unfortunate side effect of gathering numerous strong-willed individuals into one arena and expecting them to emerge with a accepted solution, despite the fact they all supposedly are furthering the same goal.

IMO, TLCA needs to refocus on that direction and on what's important...membership, Trails, events...and learn to accept that some of the rest of the process can be a bit vague.

I haven't quit yet....but I'm about as sick of the crap as I can possibly be...

I am late to the party, but that is my fault because I don't check IH8MUD.com as often as I should. Mea culpa.

I joined the TLCA in 1994. At that time, there was still very little about cruisers on the net. There were a few cruiser owners on Stefan Roth's ORD email list, and a little info on Ian Stain's cruiser web site. But that was about it. The TLCA was a godsend to me in those days. I was doing alot more maintanance type work, and the 10% discount MAF and others gave saved me $$. I also loved the Trails, as it showed off a LC community unknown in MD (where I still only know of 2 or 3 FJ40s). I joined the local VA cruiser club, learned more about the truck, went wheeling, made some friends, all because of the TLCA.

Fast forward 8 years. I no longer buy anything for the truck. The local cruiser club is dead, and even when it lived, they did more electioneering and talking than wheeling. Before it died I was the BOD Rep for two years to the TLCA. That experiance pretty much killed the TLCA for me. After experiancing the petty infighting and power struggles, I dropped out of all things TLCA BOD related. But I still renew.

Why: Cause of the Trails. Trails (and to an extent the sanctioned big rides like CM, Rubithon) is the only worthwhile part of being a TLCA member. Although info is instantly available on the Net, it's just not the same as opening the mail and getting a print magazine dedicated to Cruisers. Half the info in each issue doesn't have any relevance to my truck, but I still read that mag cover to cover as soon as I get it. And I have all my back issues since 1994 in a rack on my book shelf.

I am in good standing till June 2003. If the 3 issues of Trails I get suck once Brimmer leaves, I may not renew. We will see. Hopefully, the mag will sustain, or even improve under a new editor. Who knows. But without Trails, TLCA can kiss my membership goodbye.

Ross

Man, been away from the board for a month or so, don't know what this is all about.
Sounds like some political upheaval stuff.
Same things are happening to the other orgs I belong to, (CA4WDC...American Sand Assoc.) with disgruntaled members. Must be a Greenie plot!
Anyway the TLCA is/was a great place for me to start when I first acquired my 'cruiser. Got lots of ideas and tech backround, and found links to sites like this one, because of the "Trails".
Never had any intention of joining a "local" club, because the nearest one is 120 miles away. Nor did I expect to be able to make it to a sanctioned run, and have no plans to...So I guess I just re-newed for the magazine/newsletter!

I joined in 96 when I bought my first FJ-40. I keep up my membership for the Trails. I'm reorganizing Windy City, but I don't know if it's going to be part of the TLCA. I don't want folks to be excluded from membership if they don't want to be part of the TLCA. I don't want to have to deal with all of the rules and regulations either. I just want to be able to get together with other cruiser folk.
As a school teacher I have come to be suspicious of folks who seek a political post in an unpaid position. School boards are full of folks like those who have caused problems in the TLCA. Some have altruistic reasons and some just like to be in charge of stuff. You really have to watch the latter group.

Todd Ballard
74 VJ-40
95 FZJ-80

Don't tell anybody, but not everyone in Land Cruiser Legends maintains a TLCA membership either....

i will be some time next year---gotta start payin off the new car!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom