Membership Idea.... your feedback wanted. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Clutchee

I'm fun sized!
Threads
Folks I wanted to see TLCA & non members feedback to this idea:hmm:
Currently you pay yearly dues to the TLCA of 30.00 a year.
This gives you a TLCA number, dash plaque, Trails, and options to be able to goto TLCA events depending on their sanctioning.

What I'm wondering is should we broaden the membership option.........

Have various levels of membership:(these are ideas....ONLY!)
Basic-$20.00 year(TLCA number,no issues of trails,dash plaque,able to attend TLCA events)
Silver-$30.00 year(current membership status)
Gold- $95.00 year (all the above & one TLCA event registration included)
Land Use Member $300.00 year(maybe majority of this would goto UFWDA or BRC
Broken Birf- $500.00 Lifetime membership (for your TLCA career you will not pay again)
Iron Butt Member $2500.00 Lifetime member & no registration fees ever to TLCA events

Folks I'm just trying to get folks thinking about the TLCA & how they would like to PARTICIPATE in it...... if you could taylor your member ship & help the TLCA & make it also go to the part you use or would like-------it would be better for everyone.

For me & my family...... we usually goto 3-6 events a year....... if I could have a member ship where I paid my TLCA dues & also didn't have to worry about registration fees it would rock.

Again just trying to get the hamsters moving in folks brains:clap:

I belong to quit a few clubs/organizations in this manner, lifetime memberships (Harley Owners Group, American Quarter Horse Association, Fishing clubs, etc…) and I love the easiness of it.

I personally don't like the 'land use' portion....not that there is anything wrong with land use, but IMO folks should be putting those dollars directly to the organization of their choice and not into TLCA to be filtered thru.

The 'event' portion is tough...mostly cause events are paid for by the local club and not by TLCA...those fees are generally set to cover a club's expenses. I'd also be afraid that a 'event' member would expect priority in registrations OR the ability to just 'show up' unregistered. 'well, I AM a lifetime TLCA member with full event privileges, whattayamean I can't participate in Cruise Moab?'

Like the 'lifetime' idea tho, and a Trails/noTrails breakdown...

<devils advocate....>

Thanks for the feedback fellows, just what I wanted to hear.

Woody I understand & agree looking back now, just thought it MIGHT get TLCA more $$$ towards land use.

Keep it going folks.

good ideas and your on the right track. maybe with that cheapo membership have access to a digitized version of the Toyota Trails magazine with a password issued by TLCA when you renew your membership to access the digitized version which would vanish to cyber space when the next issue was published, conversely the higher paid memberships would be issued same type of personal access # to enjoy the magazine until they receive their postal copy to enjoy on the porcelain throne :grinpimp:

Clutchee, I think the tiered membership [electronic vs paper] member classification is definitely gonna happen at some point. Idea's been floated around for a while now. From what I can remember, a few simple issues. [Alan Loshbaugh did a good job of concisely running these down last year, which is why I remember it!]

1. Setting the cyber-version rate. What's an electronic-only copy worth?
2. Making the e-copy 'secure.' If one guy can file share it with 10 of his buddies, we lose. I don't know squat about making files 'view-only', but there are plenty of good folks here that might. Perhaps we can direct them to our webmaster for some private discussions on moving this issue forward.

3. The print copy still has a MINIMUM press run. If we offer an electronic version and a lot of folks switch over, then we've got even less $$ to pay the bills for the print copy. Capiche? We might have to bump print membership to $50, $60, or higher to cover the loss.

I don't think the GOLD or LIFETIME options are complete non-starters. GOLD and LIFETIME members would still have to register ON TIME like regular folks with event chairmen [and women], and the clubs could easily notate that member's ID number on their 'smaller' donation back to TLCA.

TLCA also has the ability to barter pre-paid registrations against insurance premiums, as far as that goes.

Thanks for starting this thread.:) I think this discussion is general enough to address 'in public.' There are other aspects of our plans and ideas that I think should stay on BODreps for now.;)

Last edited:
I think the idea has merit.

I think the idea has merit.

Some of these ideas have been around a while, a few of them are GOING to happen, and others may be impractical (such as event registrations). But keep the ideas comin'! I love the passion that has been going on here lately! I reply in more detail when I have a bit more time. Happy cruisin'!

ya, the levels provided need more discussion of course, but the idea has merit, especially that Cheapo with no trails level, and the multi year Premier Deal.

You guys are on the right track... and the key... make it easy! Easy to sign up, easy to join, easy to ask questions, and easy to get answers.

As soon as something gets difficult, folks say forget it, I'll drop my coin on something else.

but you knew that already...

Folks I wanted to see TLCA & non members feedback to this idea:hmm:
Currently you pay yearly dues to the TLCA of 30.00 a year.
This gives you a TLCA number, dash plaque, Trails, and options to be able to goto TLCA events depending on their sanctioning.

What I'm wondering is should we broaden the membership option.........

Have various levels of membership:(these are ideas....ONLY!)
Basic-$20.00 year(TLCA number,no issues of trails,dash plaque,able to attend TLCA events)
Silver-$30.00 year(current membership status)
Gold- $95.00 year (all the above & one TLCA event registration included)
Land Use Member $300.00 year(maybe majority of this would goto UFWDA or BRC
Broken Birf- $500.00 Lifetime membership (for your TLCA career you will not pay again)
Iron Butt Member $2500.00 Lifetime member & no registration fees ever to TLCA events

Folks I'm just trying to get folks thinking about the TLCA & how they would like to PARTICIPATE in it...... if you could taylor your member ship & help the TLCA & make it also go to the part you use or would like-------it would be better for everyone.

For me & my family...... we usually goto 3-6 events a year....... if I could have a member ship where I paid my TLCA dues & also didn't have to worry about registration fees it would rock.

Again just trying to get the hamsters moving in folks brains:clap:

I had looked at this a while back and never really gave it any thought until today. Especially since in the past we have done smaller events and usually everyone is already a TLCA member. But now with us hosting GSMTR it really hits home. Because there are quite a few people who want to come to the event but just cannot afford to pay a full membership. It's the TLCA name that also gets us. As most just think it's for LC's only.

As much as I hate to say this I really think TLCA needs to change their name. Maybe make it TTA. Toyota Trails Association. By doing so the local clubs would have a better chance of attracting more potential members.

I really think this needs to be discussed more.

The tiered membership levels is being discussed by the BOD. The name change has been brought up several times and it typically comes back to the same thing, we need to respect our roots. Personally, I'm an advocate for a name change, but that and .45 will get you a cup of coffee... :D

I think the name change might help if it was a unanimous decision by all the members But I don't see it happening. Too many die hard cruiser heads have too much time and effort tied up in the organization, and I think a forced name change would alienate many of them and cause a mass exodus, thus doing the opposite of what we want it to...

As a 4Runner owner, I want to say that the name doesn't bother me one bit! And if a mini-truck/4Runner/Tacoma owner can't get passed the name, they are probably not TLCA material. Yes we need to make a better effort to show that the club is open to all 4x4 models, but I think a name change only looks good on paper... :cheers:

I think the name change might help if it was a unanimous decision by all the members But I don't see it happening. Too many die hard cruiser heads have too much time and effort tied up in the organization, and I think a forced name change would alienate many of them and cause a mass exodus, thus doing the opposite of what we want it to...

As a 4Runner owner, I want to say that the name doesn't bother me one bit! And if a mini-truck/4Runner/Tacoma owner can't get passed the name, they are probably not TLCA material. Yes we need to make a better effort to show that the club is open to all 4x4 models, but I think a name change only looks good on paper... :cheers:

I agree, it's just not going to happen, that's one of the reasons I haven't pushed it.

We do have a couple of membership programs that we are going to be starting soon, so stay tuned.

Thanks to everyone for their continued support of the TLCA!

But now with us hosting GSMTR it really hits home. Because there are quite a few people who want to come to the event but just cannot afford to pay a full membership.

If they can't afford the $30 membership they probably don't have any business attending an event. Heck, they probably don't have any business owning a Land Cruisers. This isn't a cheap hobby. $30 to be a member isn't that big of deal in the scheme of LC ownership.

If they can't afford the $30 membership they probably don't have any business attending an event. Heck, they probably don't have any business owning a Land Cruisers. This isn't a cheap hobby. $30 to be a member isn't that big of deal in the scheme of LC ownership.

Now them be some fighten words. :mad: I own an old FJ40 and I don't have a lot of money and it has been a 10 year project with a little money in it here and there. So because I don't have a $100,000 dollar a year job, or able to go out and buy a $45,000 Land Cruiser doesn't give me the right to own one or go to events? I would pay the $20.00 membership fee, and not get the Trails magazine. The magazine doesn't apply to my application, so I'm not interested.

It is egomenical, self centered, better than thou Land Cruiser owners like this that so far has kept me from formally joining the TLCA. I don't want to be stereotyped in that class.

Rant off!!!

Pam

P.S. I like this idea of different levels.

:bounce:Thanks:bounce2:
This is the type of feedback I wanted the TLCA BOD to see..... maybe folks wanta be part of the masses but on different levels & $$$.

Lets keep your thoughts going:clap:

... Because there are quite a few people who want to come to the event but just cannot afford to pay a full membership. ...

A few years back when I was member of the Ga Cruisers chapter, we hosted the Toyota Mountain Challenge at Tellico. We had a core of members that complained about the cost of paying the event registration fee ($45 or what ever it was then). The BOD took this serious and tried to work with these members. When the event arrived, these members were the first in line for raffle tickets and were buying $100 at a crack. Since then I am skeptical about such claims because the individuals that I typically saying this have the appearance of being flush with cash for other things that are a priority for them. Granted; my experience base is limited here, but I would be cautious before making changes on this basis.

If they can't afford the $30 membership they probably don't have any business attending an event. ... This isn't a cheap hobby. $30 to be a member isn't that big of deal in the scheme of LC ownership.

I certainly agree with these points. In fact, the risk of breakage on a trail ride is always there. If you break the wrong component and it has to be fixed for the drive home, that will probably mean laying down some serious coin immediately. A TLCA membership and/or an event registration may wind up looking small in comparison. If you can not afford the risk, then maybe you should not elect to take the risk?

Now them be some fighten words. :mad: I own an old FJ40 and I don't have a lot of money and it has been a 10 year project with a little money in it here and there. ...

It is egomenical, self centered, better than thou Land Cruiser owners like this that so far has kept me from formally joining the TLCA. I don't want to be stereotyped in that class.

In owning Land Cruisers for over 19 years, I have only encountered one Cruiser owner that comes close to your description. I hope you look further because I think you are running into the exception rather than the rule in the Cruiser community. Good luck with your FJ40 project.

What I'm getting at. I join UC then TLCA. I pay 30 for UC and 30 something for TLCA. If I want to go to a Southern event I have to pay 40. Thats 100 dollars a year. Crazy.

I'm sure Southern members look at it the same way. If we could talk to some of the bigger clubs and come up with some sort of fee agreement with limited services it would be a win win for all.

Last edited:
Marshall,
Good point. I am actually viewing it from the opposite direct;
We join TLCA and then we elect to join an affiliated chapter (UC in your case) of our choosing.

My first thought was maybe the chapter option should be no annual fee and local fund raising cover any chapter costs incurred. However, this would probably not work because the costs of running a chapter should be distributed across the membership of chapter to be fair rather than only the members that support the fund raising activities. This leads right back to where we are.

How do we break the mold and generate new options? Brian was hitting at this point in his original post and started this discussion. My suggestion is to approach it via requirements definition. First we need to define the requirements (key performance parameters) and goals. Once that is defined, a solution can be developed to meet these requirements and implemented. If no requirements are defined, the offered solutions will be all over the map because everyone is working to different requirements (& priorities). The original founding of the TLCA and each chapter probably went through process this to some extent which lead to the by-laws for these organizations. Maybe that is the starting point ... reviewing the by-laws for relevance and where gaps may now exist.

Sorry, but I can't shake my enginerd nature even when it comes to the Cruiser community.

Now them be some fighten words. :mad: I own an old FJ40 and I don't have a lot of money and it has been a 10 year project with a little money in it here and there. So because I don't have a $100,000 dollar a year job, or able to go out and buy a $45,000 Land Cruiser doesn't give me the right to own one or go to events? I would pay the $20.00 membership fee, and not get the Trails magazine. The magazine doesn't apply to my application, so I'm not interested.

Rant off!!!

Pam

While still evolving, the short term direction we are more or less heading is two membership levels (for now, until we figure out a lifetime membership that we can implement and get the details sorted out) are:

(1) Full Membership: You get your printed Trails plus exclusive member's-only content on the web site We are currently implementing this. The member's only content is a combination of extra stuff that didn't make it into Trails due to not enough room, plus all of the current issue. Eventually it will be a page-flipping PDF e-zine as Alan had initiated, for now it might be either regular PDF or maybe html/php, we're still working on that.

(2) Online membership: You get all of the above except you don't get a printed copy of Trails mailed to you. This saves postage for us, and money for you, especially if you live outside the USA. Preliminary price point will likely be around $20/year.

The above 2 would still get your discounts at participating Toyota dealers, dash plaque, membership card, and eligibility to participate in TLCA Sanctioned and Hosted events. While brainstorming last night as I welded on my 76 FJ40 I thought maybe a discount on TLCA merchandise as well.

(3) Is that you aren't a member but could still get lots of good info on the TLCA web site, and a few teaser articles from Toyota Trails.

Comment: I have been making a lot of phone calls to expired TLCA members; one of the things that struck me was such a high percentage that have old school 40s.

All for now, more later. Happy cruisin'!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom