Member Sponsored Activities - Go For It! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey HDC members,

I have been with the club for 6 years now and really enjoy all of the new friends I have met while learning much about our incredible Toyota 4x4 vehicles. I could not have imaged how much I have benefited from being a member of this club. Thanks to each of you and to our club's founding members.

I would like to encourage different club members to sponsor and participate in a wider variety of activities. The club has its traditional things, like our monthly breakfast events, the Xmas party in December, our Cowboy Breakfast in the fall and our annual Ouray event before school starts. Maybe leading or sponsoring activities is not your thing. That's cool. Participating in events others are leading is a great way to engage, meet new members and learn new things.

Ali has been particularly active in leading some overlanding events recently, which has been a fun way to see our beautiful Southwest, while meeting and sharing these epic trips with other members that like overlanding. Recently, Jeff Boggs posted up a camp out for Oct 23-25th weekend, which I am looking forward to. Other members have talked about doing a Moab trip in Oct or doing some day trips to the Jemez or the Puerco. I think its great that other members are willing to initiate activities and encourage those that are on the fence to give it a go.

Maybe you are going to be modifying your truck and are willing to invite others interested in learning or helping. Some members may prefer rock crawling and want to find other members that are interested in more adventurous activities. Perhaps you want to lead an easy Sunday drive down that beautiful forest road you discovered recently. Have you been wanting to get out your recovery gear and learn how to use it? Pick a day and go for it. Perhaps you have always wanted to explore a new area and would feel more comfortable if others joined you for a day of exploring. Maybe you like a particular fishing spot, hiking/biking trail or that special hot spring and want to share. What ever it is, please feel free to post up a date & place and go for it!

I am happy to help any member that wants to step up. You can PM me, call me or just pull me aside when we connect at our next event. But there is no need to engage me at all. Just post up if you want. We can make your post a "sticky" (or not) and label it as an event. I can help you set up a poll (not required but pretty cool), show you how to use the mud forum, answer questions or just give you some feedback on a particular idea.

I look forward to seeing an increase in member participate with a more diverse set of events. Have fun and be safe!

Cheers!
Poupon

Last edited:
Echo this. I used to host a wrench day for Tacoma World members in Albuquerque. Was great for passing around free labor and sharing wrenching experience. The value I saw was getting peeps new to the offroad community a better understanding of their vehicle capabilities, being trailworthy and most of all, got them further interested and involved. Wish I could do the same nowadays but it is quite the drive to Denver.

Echo this. I used to host a wrench day for Tacoma World members in Albuquerque. Was great for passing around free labor and sharing wrenching experience. The value I saw was getting peeps new to the offroad community a better understanding of their vehicle capabilities, being trailworthy and most of all, got them further interested and involved. Wish I could do the same nowadays but it is quite the drive to Denver.
Right on man. I wonder if there is a club member that can step up and get something like this going here in the ABQ area. I would be a follower on this one, since I have much to learn about the mechanical aspects of inspection/repair. Thanks for sharing.

I need to get more active. sucks being up and away from everyone in Los Alamos.

I need to get more active. sucks being up and away from everyone in Los Alamos.
A lot of us that live in ABQ like going to the Los Alamos/Jemez area to get away for a day or a weekend.

Right on man. I wonder if there is a club member that can step up and get something like this going here in the ABQ area. I would be a follower on this one, since I have much to learn about the mechanical aspects of inspection/repair. Thanks for sharing.

I wish I had a bigger shop. My place is always open to anybody needing help or if they just don't have the tools. To me wrenching on these things can be more fun than driving them.

Has anyone here done the Forest Road 646, Tererro to Elk Mountain, in the Pecos canyon?

There is a Radio Tower there, as it is situated on the divide between the Pecos side and the Las Vegas / Mora side. Also, a trailhead for the 48-mile 'Skyline trail,' that wraps around the Pecos watershed, is there. Elk Mountain is 11,661-feet - quite tall for a 'jeep trail.' The road was apparently built during WWII to access a mica mine just east of the mountain. The trail is over ten miles long, and described in the Trail Guide to Geology of the Upper Pecos., by the NM Bureau of Mines and Mineral Resources.

My FJ40 on top. The road is easy.

IMGP3343-sm.jpg

Is there a trail in New Mexico higher altitude than this one?

That photograph is amazing.

Easy, like stock 40-easy?

Last edited:
Is there a trail in New Mexico higher altitude than this one?

That photograph is amazing.

Easy, like stock 40-easy?
I could probably do it in my Venza.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom