Melted EGR Vaccum Valve Assembly....huh?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well was driving on the freeway the other day and when I hit the accelerator I heard a pop and a hissing everytime I hit the gas.

I didn't see any smoke or anything and was on my way home...so I just kept going. When I got there I popped her open and say this valve had come off the tube on the bottom of it.

It is this specific valve: Part # 25870-61011

ef5482b9.jpg

So I pushed it back on and made sure it was really on there well.

Today I looked under the hood to notice the SAME valve had worked it's way off, but when I went to go put it on again, I noticed this:

MELTED!!!

0f89db74.jpg

Anyone have any idea how this could have happened? Is it normal? Is a used one ok to replace or better off with a new one?

Thanks

that tube brings an exhaust gas signal to the modulator valve. The gasses can be very hot. If the gasses were directed at the base of the mod rather than to the diaphram inside of it, I could see how that melting could have taken place. The mod popping off of the egr gas line could be related to a possible restriction in the exhaust downstream creating a pressure high enough to overcome the frictional connection of the vacuum tube to the plastic nip.:meh:HTH

that tube brings an exhaust gas signal to the modulator valve. The gasses can be very hot. If the gasses were directed at the base of the mod rather than to the diaphram inside of it, I could see how that melting could have taken place. The mod popping off of the egr gas line could be related to a possible restriction in the exhaust downstream creating a pressure high enough to overcome the frictional connection of the vacuum tube to the plastic nip.:meh:HTH

Considering I JUST put on a new catback exhaust with a muffler...I assume that has something to do with it.

Any idea how this is fixable? Could it just have been an old valve and could not handle a new muffler?

Not fixable, how many years did this one last,20 plus,not bad. Mike

Not fixable, how many years did this one last,20 plus,not bad. Mike

LOL..I didn't mean is the modular fixable. I meant the issue that is causing it. Could it be the new muffler and tubing or just a failed 25 year old part?

Anyone know if it is safe to drive without it if I need to?

That looks like a fairly new modulator, but did you pop off the top to see if it might be plugged... never mind, I'm a dumb ass. I do have a used one if you need it.

That looks like a fairly new modulator, but did you pop off the top to see if it might be plugged... never mind, I'm a dumb ass. I do have a used one if you need it.

Well either way it melted. So plugged or not I need a new one I guess .

You can rock it with out it....

but replace it to see if the new muffler is your issue or just a 25 year old failure of a part like you stated.

You can rock it with out it....

but replace it to see if the new muffler is your issue or just a 25 year old failure of a part like you stated.

Well here i my questions. If it happens again, then what can I do about the muffler? Change it out again? it is brand new....

don't worry about the cat back set up till you have the same thing happen to a different modulator. IF the exhaust has too much back pressure, then have the shop that installed it take a look to see why. see if you can find a known good used modulator you can borrow(hopefully not destroy) and see if you still have issues, just check the thing more often and you might catch it before the plastic goes again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom