Melted cats! Need some options. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just discovered that my cats are junk as a result of running the truck with a bad #6 injector that caused them to glow cherry red. Half of one cat is melted and the core of the other one is completely gone and is nestled deep inside the muffler and possible the resonator in the tailpipe! I need some options here as I'm super pissed at myself for burning them up since I replaced the entire system from the manifold back with all OEM parts back in 2009 at $2200. The cats were $483. back in 2009 I'm sure they are over $600. now. I'm not sure if aftermarket is the way to go if the cost saving is is going to worth it if they fail within a few years. Anyone know the best possible way to get the best price on OEM Dan or anyplace else? Can I assume that I'm not getting all that junk out of my muffler? Any options on gutting the other cat and going that route.

Thanks
George:mad::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::mad:

IMG_1579.JPG

IMG_1582.JPG

IMG_1584.JPG

If you are in CA then you can go Magnaflow for about $575. If you are outside of CA it's about $350. Direct replacement for Y-pipe and both cats. Easy replacement.

If you are in CA then you can go Magnaflow for about $575. If you are outside of CA it's about $350. Direct replacement for Y-pipe and both cats. Easy replacement.
Magnaflow only makes a universal replacement for a 1993 I was looking for bolt-in.

I got both cats (y pipe and 2nd cat) from amazon, magnaflow brand. Fitment was perfect, emissions test was night and day. Now 6 months later, they have a good patina on them, so I would paint with header paint before installing if I were to do it again. Paid around $550 IIRC.

:edit: I didn't realize the '93 exhaust is any different. Mine is a '96.

Heckraiser, do you happen to have the amazon order with the part numbers? My cats are doing the death rattle dance and I forecast will need some new ones soon. Thanks!

right, those won't be. I read 93 so I input that. the 93-94 and 95-97 have different exhausts. go to their website, get the part # and search amazon, they are still available.

After 350K miles, the cats on my wife's '93 were hollow - everything was in the muffler, which sounded like a maraca. I left the hollow cats in place and swapped in a new Bosal muffler with a stock tailpipe. Pretty much the same sound as the OEM muffler, with slightly better performance which I attribute to either the plugged muffler and/or my imagination.

Since AZ only does a visual inspection on pre-OBD2 AWD vehicles, we pass without issue.

JM $.02

This thread is not at all what i thought it was about.

definitive-proof-that-cats-are-liquid.jpg
Nice! I wish this thread was about something other than the big bucks I have to spend.

Since AZ only does a visual inspection on pre-OBD2 AWD vehicles, we pass without issue.

Arizona does an idle test for HC and CO on my '95 every year. Are you passing at the tailpipe with no cats? Or are you in a rural county that doesn't have the test?

Arizona does an idle test for HC and CO on my '95 every year. Are you passing at the tailpipe with no cats? Or are you in a rural county that doesn't have the test?

Last time I tested, I lived in Gilbert (now Queen Creek). Since my '95 is technically pre-OBD2, they've only done a visual inspection like they do on our '93 & '94. They might have done an idle test (I don't remember, but you're probably right, Mike). Either way, we pass every time.

Last time I tested, I lived in Gilbert (now Queen Creek). Since my '95 is technically pre-OBD2, they've only done a visual inspection like they do on our '93 & '94. They might have done an idle test (I don't remember, but you're probably right, Mike). Either way, we pass every time.

In Az all 95s are supposed to get the visual AND a tailpipe sniff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom