Melted Battery Terminal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gday all, when it comes to electrical components im a fish out of water. 91 1HDT 80 won't start anymore, get the starter motor ticking but no crank. My battery terminal has melted which i assume would cause the issue. I've found a slight wear mark on the engine block ground but just won't some other opinions on what could be wrong and or what else i should replace and look at. Both battery's are less than 6 months old. Cheers
image.jpg
image.jpg

Gday all, when it comes to electrical components im a fish out of water. 91 1HDT 80 won't start anymore, get the starter motor ticking but no crank. My battery terminal has melted which i assume would cause the issue. I've found a slight wear mark on the engine block ground but just won't some other opinions on what could be wrong and or what else i should replace and look at. Both battery's are less than 6 months old. Cheers View attachment 3063836View attachment 3063837
You're lucky the truck didn't burn to the ground!

You need to replace the cables and that battery(s) is likely junk. Getting hot enough to melt a post is hot enough to melt the internal plates and short them out.

Did the starter stick on and overheat or what?

You're lucky the truck didn't burn to the ground!

You need to replace the cables and that battery(s) is likely junk. Getting hot enough to melt a post is hot enough to melt the internal plates and short them out.

Did the starter stick on and overheat or what?
Honestly not sure what has happened. The only thing that has happened is the solenoid clicks, no noise from the starter at all. First time it happened it was close to -5 outside so just assumed it was the cold and it started with no problem after a couple of key turns. And yea that's what I was pretty much expecting but it's good to other opinions. Cheers

'97 HDJ81 - OEM dual battery setup, 1HDFT. Went to disconnect the batteries to do some work today and noticed that my secondary battery (left hand side) negative battery terminal is melting. I had made a note a while ago to replace the terminal clamps, as you can see it's super thin and janky. I knew it was bad but wow. Thoughts? The truck is running fine otherwise - I wonder if it's because of the terminal clamp.

2023-05-20 19.44.36.jpg

2023-05-20 19.46.13.jpg

Poor connections lead to higher resistance.

Power is I^2 R, so the square of the current times resistance. So, a little bit of extra resistance makes a big difference to the power dissipation of a poor contact. Sparking/arcing and cooking ensues... CHANGE THOSE CLAMPS ASAP and clean the battery terminal and ditch the rusted junk too.

cheers,
george.

Poor connections lead to higher resistance.

Power is I^2 R, so the square of the current times resistance. So, a little bit of extra resistance makes a big difference to the power dissipation of a poor contact. Sparking/arcing and cooking ensues... CHANGE THOSE CLAMPS ASAP and clean the battery terminal and ditch the rusted junk too.

cheers,
george.
Thank you! Changing the clamps now.

The complete negative cable is available from T and is pretty easy to change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom