Megasquirt info (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone installed a Megasquirt with either a 3FE or a 2FE?

I have done a search and haven't found anyone who has actually completed the install. I already have the truck completly gutted so I would like to figure out what it would take to us a Megasquirt vs the stock ECU.

Thanks,
James
IMG_0568.JPG

Megasquirt? Why not stick with the stock ECU?

I plan on using all the 3FE fuel injection system to make a 2FE. The reason I want to go with the Megasquirt is to be able to program in the changes I make to the engine. From what I know about the stock ECU is it is a closed loop system and not very friendly to aftermarket changes.

Closed loop does not mean that it is intolerant of re-programming, but being a proprietary ECU that probably hasn't been hacked I doubt that much can be done with the stock ECU.

Are you set specifically on a MegaSquirt? There are other systems out there in the lower price part of the market. SDS comes to mind.

When I was considering MS, the thing that changed my mind was the "what if" What if the ECU burns a diode or relay when I'm out 2 days on a 4 day trail. At least OEM has limp home mode. MS cool for street and track, bad for trail IMHO

I can see your point about limping home.

I am not dead set on MS, but from what I have read on other forums their new v3.0 it top notch. My plan to deal with limping home is to leave the stock ECU in place and if something goes wrong with the MS I can just plug back into the stock ECU. It is not that straight foward, but I saw a post on another forum where someone explains how to make this work.

I looked at M/S but lacks scope went with a Wolf V500 ECU.

The way the Aus $ is they would be relatively cheap at the moment.

All depends on budget though.

What about the MS did you not like?

At $1,800 even with a good conversion rate it is still nearly 5 times the price of the MS. My plans are to run a 2FE with the only mods currently being a RV Cam, Chevy short block valves, and headers. I don't have any plans to run a turbo or a supercharger, so I am not sure if the $1,800 is worth the investment.

What about the MS did you not like?

At $1,800 even with a good conversion rate it is still nearly 5 times the price of the MS. My plans are to run a 2FE with the only mods currently being a RV Cam, Chevy short block valves, and headers. I don't have any plans to run a turbo or a supercharger, so I am not sure if the $1,800 is worth the investment.

I can get one for under $1400US but yes not cheap compared to M/S. I does support boost applications better too. Like I said all depends on budget.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom