Meet "The Horned one" '64 FJ 40" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Believe that is the original mirror for this period, and that a right hand side one cost extra. Sun visors weren't included either.

Spot lighting lamp on the roof was probably standard equipment for Idaho. Just sayin'. ;)

Man, I look at these pictures and think how many of those parts I’d like to have for my current ‘64 FST project. While I’d like to know that this rig gets a new F motor and returns to use, a part of me hopes that you decide to part it out and I might be able to score some great parts. I know, that part of me is a bit of a vulture...
Take that back!
Well, since that post I've acquired some of the parts I was lusting over, so now I hope it gets brought back...

Any updates/plans?

Truck is headed to Vivid off road @cruiserhiggins to get it back on the road ! Stay tuned for the build thread.

EB96CB6D-B575-43E3-B43D-53463A1BBDB3.jpeg

First thought is congratulations on the acquisition. Second thought is how structurally sound and straight it is---remarkable. Third thought is how atypical it is to see a 1964 hardtop model with soft top windshield fold-down latches on the inside paired with the typical hardtop no-rubber-bumper and no windshield tie-down latch hood. But the fourth thought is that the "L" behind the "FJ40" suggests that it was initially manufactured as soft top model.

Yes, engine-side of the firewall in 1964 was factory black.

Again, congratulations.

(Edited to say, I actually don't know what year Toyota started putting a "V" behind the "L" to distinguish between soft top and hard top body types.)

The V was missing many hard top models up to 75. Have two 61 hard top models one with the V the other missing. Had other hard tops missing the V as well.

What year-model did the interior windshield latch & hook mechanism show up on hard top models, as opposed to the earlier windshield-to-dash stud & nut set up?

Yes, but, while FJ25s and the earlier ('61 and '62) FJ40 hard tops did have the same bumper-less hoods as this 1964, they did not have the same interior latches as this 1964. Instead they had "hinges" like these . . .

View attachment 1602747

Early soft top models used the same bolt nut style to hold the windshield. You can use the hold up system to help determine the age but not whether a hard top or soft top model.

The interior picture suggests the OEM roof vent in back is missing. Even in a dry climate it may of leaked, rusted, and been slicked off. Is it there in good shape? Pics appreciated.

Not sure why but Toyota dropped the roof vent on the later corrugated tops. Wasn't until the 77 model Toyota had a way to vent the back on FJ40 imported here. That's over ten years of the tops with corner windows so it seems Toyota didn't think this was a issue. Guess Japan. Doesn't get as hot a AZ. Added vent window to the top on my 68 over thirty five years ago. The dead air space behind the front seats is unbearable in the desert.

Could you post or send some close up pics of the drivers side mirror? Am wondering if it is stock..

Should be getting started on it this week. Pics will be coming.

Plans?

I have had a pile of parts that will be going into this project, need to get them out of the garage and put to use. The idea is to build an updated very drivable 40 that will be painted to match my ‘64 FJ45, currently the build will include removing the body and powder coating the frame for a fresh start.
Mechanical will include :
2fe
60 power steering mated to the stock steering column and wheel.
OME springs and shocks
5speed and Split case
Later disc front axle and full float rear with parking brake hooked to the original trans dash lever.

Top is OEM bows and a Paki top with OEM FST doors, we will restore the hardtop also.

Goal is a very stock looking early 40 to match the looks of the same year FJ 45. We will have some early parts I will post up as well as the NOS parts we don’t use!

If anyone wants this thread moved out of the 25 section please let the Moderators know, I don’t want it to be an issue since it’s not a original restoration build. You never know, I
maybe will be back with a FJ25 some day!

Question: what is the best thread for sourcing the parts to restore the weatherstripping and details for the bifold and top?

Thx,N

Mechanical will include :
2fe
60 power steering mated to the stock steering column and wheel.
OME springs and shocks
5speed and Split case
Later disc front axle and full float rear with parking brake hooked to the original trans dash lever.

Top is OEM bows and a Paki top with OEM FST doors, we will restore the hardtop also.

Subscribed. I love those corrugated tops.

City Racer has the bi-fold door weatherstripping.

thx, it's on the list as we take it apart, every bolt is now been soaked to hopefully loosen them up, been baking in the Arizona heat!

Here are a few progress shots, engine and trans get fitted this week as well as 60 power steering.

C7C30129-C8D5-46FD-8FBF-A619B8C16E30.jpeg

97615581-426A-4759-9FF6-69F5FD5048DD.jpeg

3FC16F2B-C189-48EF-92DD-02AE27321B66.jpeg

D792F4F6-E1D7-4607-B754-C333E3586C63.jpeg

223CCD04-C631-4E59-94D5-8857C7E855B5.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom