Meet "Stella", my HDJ81 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All! Here she is, my "new" 1991 HDJ81!
1hdt turbo diesel. Unfortunately, it's an automatic, but does have manual throttle control. :clap:
RHD. :steer: Triple locked. :bounce: :bounce2::bounce:
Factory electric winch, headlamp washers, side panel blinkers that light up the whole lane next to me.
Groovy suede seats and brown shag rug (now all covered, due to the dogs and where I live).
Oh. And don't forget the center console/electric cooler that makes ice in 20 minutes or less. :cheers:

Wasn't what I set out to buy, but man... I'm in love now!

LA canyon.jpg
front.jpg
engine.jpg
dash.jpg
dash 2.jpg

Oh jeeez that's so very nice!

That's cool!!

Awesome Land Cruiser! How does it do on the drive to and from Los Alamos?

Vince

Very nice

Awesome Land Cruiser! How does it do on the drive to and from Los Alamos?

Vince
Thanks! She does great! The turbo really helps with the hill climbs over the mountain. She got new shocks, and handles the curves great now!

sweet ride! diesel has a ton of cool factor...

Awesome truck! How many miles/kilometers? Any idea the original country of origin? I like how the A/C heater has the temp controls in degrees Celsius, not Fahrenheit.

Very cool - you will have a lot of fun in that!

Oh dude, so cool I'd kill to drive that! Or provide cold ones for a test drive... :)

As a diesel fanboy with a Toyota love affair, this is the best of both worlds. Curious on your mileage months out. Hoping you get over 20! I'm hoping the 4.7 in my hundy lasts long enough for them to start legally importing 100 half cuts for a 1HD swap (I've got a few years).

Awesome truck! How many miles/kilometers? Any idea the original country of origin? I like how the A/C heater has the temp controls in degrees Celsius, not Fahrenheit.

Very cool - you will have a lot of fun in that!

Thanks, evanz80! I picked it up in MO last month with 221k km on the dial; got her new tires and drove her home. It was from Japan, has all the maintenance records (can't read them of course, but can make out the dates).

I'm looking forward to checking out your 80; been considering the Slee sliders and bumpers!

Oh dude, so cool I'd kill to drive that! Or provide cold ones for a test drive... :)

As a diesel fanboy with a Toyota love affair, this is the best of both worlds. Curious on your mileage months out. Hoping you get over 20! I'm hoping the 4.7 in my hundy lasts long enough for them to start legally importing 100 half cuts for a 1HD swap (I've got a few years).

I've had her less than a month, so haven't got a good handle on mileage here in the mountains yet... tbest guess is around 25. However, drove her home from MO and even with the notorious I40 head & side winds (55mph gusts), I was driving 80mph (yep, that's right!, sometimes even 85) & she averaged 20-22 mpg.:)

The 1HDT starts right up, and needs very little warming time in the mornings up here, though it's not been below 25F since I got her.

You're more than welcome to take her for a spin sometime. I won't be around for coffee this Saturday, I have a thingy in Los Alamos in the morning; but give me a shout whenever you (or anyone else) wants to play in Jemez. There's a few roads open. I'll be in Moab, as well.

Oooh, I want a test ride too. That engine is the cat's meow from what I hear! Congrats.

Thanks, evanz80! I picked it up in MO last month with 221k km on the dial; got her new tires and drove her home. It was from Japan, has all the maintenance records (can't read them of course, but can make out the dates).

I'm looking forward to checking out your 80; been considering the Slee sliders and bumpers!

Thanks for the info - can't wait to see it in person!

You are welcome to check out my 80 anytime, but some of the upgrades are somewhat dated. I have been building it starting about 12 years ago. My Slee bumpers are functional, but he hasn't offered those styles for a while. I have sliders from Hanna, but he's out of business by now. Anyway, it's a great truck, but maybe not a good model for current purchases. I'm happy to share my experiences - welcome to the world of 80's!

I've had her less than a month, so haven't got a good handle on mileage here in the mountains yet... tbest guess is around 25. However, drove her home from MO and even with the notorious I40 head & side winds (55mph gusts), I was driving 80mph (yep, that's right!, sometimes even 85) & she averaged 20-22 mpg.:)

The 1HDT starts right up, and needs very little warming time in the mornings up here, though it's not been below 25F since I got her.

You're more than welcome to take her for a spin sometime. I won't be around for coffee this Saturday, I have a thingy in Los Alamos in the morning; but give me a shout whenever you (or anyone else) wants to play in Jemez. There's a few roads open. I'll be in Moab, as well.
gotta love that mpg

You had me at "headlight washers".....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom