Builds Meet Phoenix aka Zombie (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Talked to the smog tech today, he looked it up in the computer and said it only called for one cat. I explained stock came with two. He broke out the big book, and it only specified one. Kept asking if I was sure it came stock with 2. The owner wasn’t there who I usually deal with but I know this guy has been there for about 6 years. Anybody else run into this at smog check in Cali? Tony the owner will be in tomorrow so I’ll check back with him.

It’s one per pipe. Technically you have 2 pipes...

But based on his logic, you could y before the firewall and ditch the frame hugging rock grappler... but you’d best double check that.

I will double check but will probably end up running 2 cats. I don’t want to run into issues at a smog shop in the future.
I haven’t quite wrapped my head around separating 1-3 and 4-6 to control the injectors, also the fact that all 3 injectors in the bank fire at the same time (didn’t know that previously) just figured each injector would fire individually as intake valve opens.

Decided I was sitting around thinking too much so I tapped the cooling line union and installed an 1/8 NPT T. Put the sending unit in one end and a plug in the other.

89DC8874-C86F-46D7-AF12-3E230BC21465.jpeg

34CDB0E0-CAC9-4B87-A47C-446C6D26D30E.jpeg

Put some more miles in this morning, if I’m light on the throttle, I’m getting shifts between 1500 and 2000 RPMs. Smooth but distinct. If I’m heavy on the throttle, shift point goes up to about 2900. Sound about right?

I like how the 3FE winds up, it really comes alive from about 2400 and great response at 3000. Seems inevitable that there will have to be a race.

91454B03-AC53-4762-A6D6-028EE12755D6.jpeg

Put some more miles in this morning, if I’m light on the throttle, I’m getting shifts between 1500 and 2000 RPMs. Smooth but distinct. If I’m heavy on the throttle, shift point goes up to about 2900. Sound about right?

I like how the 3FE winds up, it really comes alive from about 2400 and great response at 3000. Seems inevitable that there will have to be a race.

View attachment 1629598
That sounds right on with what I’ve seen from mine, after I changed the throttle/kick down cable.

Looking forward to seeing how the exhaust comes out. Such a cool build.

So when are you gonna drive it over and show it off to the old owner?
It’s a small town, he’ll see it.

Well, the muffler guy will be late next week...so now that we can go faster than 30 mph figured it was time to do the brakes. The wipers on the knuckles were dry so figured I was good. Thought I would repack bearings while replacing rotors and calipers. Got to the wheel bearings and runny goop flowing out.

900A81DE-B53A-4080-831D-3C9D5B311D0A.jpeg

Decided to pull link and check trunion bearings, it was a little notchy. So here we are.

245CA698-827E-487A-A939-FCB93E92B295.jpeg

Another quickly escalating project.
See anything wrong here? That’s right after removing the lock nut.

38B3BFE7-7186-42C6-A7CC-3663761F9130.jpeg

And a before pic just because

E93EA786-09D6-4279-BFE9-0695322677F8.jpeg

Last edited:
This has become my preferred method for cone washers vs a brass drift. Double nut on the threads and a ball peen. The first ones I ever did were such a struggle, now, maybe 6 mins for 4. It’s all about how you hammer. It needs to be about as hard a swing as setting a finishing nail and let the hammer bounce back freely on impact. Just keep continuously tapping like that and working around the top edge of the nut. If it won’t go, move to a different one.

3F5A5362-0866-4E02-BEF8-0498E27D7966.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m gonna try to remember that double nut trick. But the previous pix, I wish I knew the significance but I’ve yet to pull mine apart yet so I’m not up on all the parts. Hoping to tackle all that in the next few months.
That 62 must noticeably purr when you enter the garage... for all the tlc you’ve been giving her, the 60 must be visibly turning green!

Sitting here thinking about the current project and why it was done, it's kind of a case study of the affliction. BSTS Syndrome. Could the brakes have waited...yep, they were functioning as advertised. Did I have complete confidence, nope. Could I just replace the axle seal and leave the knuckle...yep, bearings will probably outlast me. To spec...nope. Hassle to replace later vs now...

Better Safe Than Sorry also known as WIIT Disorder.

C9FE6A2B-ADDC-4CDA-B186-3B31FA8C9E58.jpeg

And WIIT? While I’m In There, ah yes. You know some stickers w/ those acronyms would most likely sell. Just don’t add the stupid hashtag thing.
Hey tell me what size nuts those are for the studs. Same as the 60 I imagine?

View attachment 1629598

anytime you want a good look at my fj62s tailgate, let me know where to meet for that race...

if you think it sounds smooth at 3K, you'll be blown away be how silky it seems when you realize you're doing 4200 turns in third gear cause you simply forgot to shift- oh, wait, you're never gunna have that problem, are you?

not a thing wrong with preemptively making certain your breaking and steering are not going to be interrupted by a fatigued bearing or seal. FAxOH was one of my very first procedures. in fact, I robbed the parts for my fj55 to do it- like 7 years ago. I still have not got round to doing the fj55...and I still drill it daily. I'd make the same choice over and over again like groundhogs day...

And WIIT? While I’m In There, ah yes. You know some stickers w/ those acronyms would most likely sell. Just don’t add the stupid hashtag thing.
Hey tell me what size nuts those are for the studs. Same as the 60 I imagine?
Same as the 60 M8 1.25.

anytime you want a good look at my fj62s tailgate, let me know where to meet for that race...
When I read that first part, I was thinking..this guy’s confused I don’t need anything for the tailgate...then I saw race. Good stuff, challenge accepted! I’ll bring the victor of the 60 vs 62 :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom